Music Tag editor & Audio Converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sherrikeo, Mar 8, 2015.

1. sherrikeo macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good free music tag editor and audio converter? I used to use any audio converter but it is for PCs only and I am so bummed they don't have a mac version because it was the best. I want to be able to convert my songs to mp3s and edit the comments, where from, etc at the same time instead of using two apps...

2. jack1011 macrumors member

XLD is great and it can do what you're looking for. Before opening a file with it, make sure to go to Preferences>Metadata and check the option to edit tags before convert.

3. sherrikeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you I tried that out but it wasn't really what I was looking for.. I wanted something more easy to use - drag drop songs and edit them easily

4. jack1011 macrumors member

I just checked out a different app called Max. It can do drag and drop, but it's a two step process. You have to select Convert Files from the File menu (or use the keyboard shortcut). It will then bring up a window to find files to convert, which you can select Cancel and use drag and drop instead.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For converting audio and video files to MP3, I use All2MP3. For editing tags, I use iTunes or Audacity.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have yet to find a replacement on the Mac side of things for Tag&Rename. By far, the best audio file editor. I actually have a windows partition setup just for this one program with a shared folder that can be viewed via Windows.

XLD is great for doing your edits the first time around, but if you want to go back and do some edits, your best bet will probably be iTunes. At least that is how it was for me before I did the windows partition. :D

7. sherrikeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.. I will def check these out. Maybe I should do a Windows partition.. does it slow your computer down?

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

For me not at all, but I am using a MacPro with 32 gigs of ram. :D I am currently using VMWare to run a Windows XP partition. Under the preference section for shared folders, I have my audio folder shared and I am able to see it as a network volume under VMWare. No issues.

9. William Auld macrumors newbie

I used MetaBliss before, http://metabliss.com, and recently decided
    to switch to Tag Editor, as it similar and has much more features.

No frills, simple and easy to use.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tag-editor/id886882234?mt=12.

Tag Editor is not free, and has no features like advanced scripting, however, it allowed me to go through all my iTunes library and fix it, and i did the job easily - got missing artworks and titles from network, fixed misprints etc. This tool allows to edit dozens of titles at the same time, and allows to come through all changes (hundreds of them !) before saving.
    I like it!

10. Alacy macrumors newbie

Music Converter By ShedWorx is a good audio converter for Mac.
    And it's free.