Music taking up 184GB on HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlakeBrattina, Jun 27, 2011.

1. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I had a quick question for you guys regarding what you do with your music when you store it. I have all of my files backed up on an external HD, but my issue is that I carry my MBP with me everywhere (vacation, work, etc.) so I really like to have whatever music with me so I can play on shuffle or whatever. My question is this; Since it takes up so much room, would it be wise to delete all files from my Music folder and just carry my external with me also so I can just play the files from there?

Or is that what most everyone else does as well?

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My music won't all fit on my internal drive, so I split my library, keeping the less-used albums on an external drive. That way I'm not without music when I travel, but my collection is complete when I'm home.

3. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there any quick way to simply "back up" any new data onto the hard drive other than dragging the new folders/files to the externalHD?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any new songs you import should automatically go wherever you've specified as your iTunes Media folder in preferences. Are you talking about creating a backup of what's on your internal drive?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could take a look at Chronosync.

It's a darned shame the rumored Time Capsule updates didn't seem to materialize. I'd pay good money for an iOS iTunes Home Sharing server.

B

6. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was mentioning backing up what would be new to the internal on the MBP

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper! or Time Machine for Mac backups, including your iTunes library.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I don't know how much space your other files take up. So I'll just ask. Why don't you just get a bigger hard drive? You can go up to 1TB on a laptop with a single drive.

You could even use an Optibay (or $15 knockoff) and run two 1TB drives.