Music through Car Stereo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by umdjb, Jul 28, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

Is there anyway to hook-up my iPhone through my car stereo even though all I have is a CD player. I don't want to use a wireles, but something similar to a cassette player. I know there is a cassette player for the iPod but I was told by an Apple employee that there is a wire that will allow me to do play my iPhone through the car stereo with a CD player.

Thanks!

2. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

From doing a bit of searching on the Internet... you can use a 3.5mm auxiliary cable from the iPhone to the auxiliary port on your stereo. I also saw on eBay that they have a retractable iPhone dock connector to 3.5mm aux port adapter. I wasn't able to tell who actually made the adapter to give you a place to look at. Hope this helps! :)

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Only if he's fortunate enough to have an aux port on his stereo. Some factory installed options have an aux port under the center console/armrest, however in my experience most in-dash units do not have an aux.

My advice would take it to some car stereo folks and just ask what your options are. With an iPod (ahem, not the iPhone) you have an option of having a cable run to your glovebox where you can hide away the iPod (even charge it) and play on your head unit. Since you will presumably be answering calls with your iPhone, you wouldn't want it hidden away.

This may be out of the scope of your question, but it seems to me a bluetooth link would be way cool. I don't have any car or audio gear that's bluetooth, nor do I have an iPhone; I don't even have a regular cell phone, so maybe I should shuddup now. ;)