Music through speakers

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WingNut33, May 28, 2017.

1. WingNut33 macrumors newbie

WingNut33

I'll start off by saying I don't have a watch yet, so please forgive my ignorance on this topic.

From my understanding, you can't listen to music through the speakers on the watch. I'm bummed about that since when I run with my wife or son, I still like to listen to music, but I don't want to use headphones. I like to be able to talk to them.

Now, if you listen to phone calls through the speaker, doesn't it make sense that you should be able to listen to music too. Any thoughts on whether this is a function that wii be introduced?

2. Relentless Power, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apparently this once worked where you could stream music through the Speaker of The Apple Watch. Here is a discussion discussing that. Apple must have patched this during an earlier update.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7682139?start=0&tstart=0

You bring up an intesting point though. I think if you could listen to music through the Apple Watch speaker, I think it would very muffled and it would sound rather distorted when you would be running outdoors or on a treadmill, especially coming from such a small speaker driver.

I know this isn't what you're exactly seeking, but have you considered the Airpods? Great product.

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

The speaker is too small for it. I don't know how you'd expect to hear something while running outside. This won't work anyways.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

With all the outside ambient noise, you're correct, and it would be hard to hear when running and your wrist would be in a swinging motion, which would make the music seem distorted.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually the swinging would cause The Doppler effect. ;)

6. Relentless Power, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

What's the Doppler effect?

Edit: This seems to make more sense.
    1. an increase (or decrease) in the frequency of sound, light, or other waves as the source and observer move toward (or away from) each other. The effect causes the sudden change in pitch noticeable in a passing siren, as well as the redshift seen by astronomers.

7. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

It's fine for phone calls; music just doesn't make any sense as the speaker is tiny.

8. WingNut33 thread starter macrumors newbie

WingNut33

Cool everybody. I appreciate the feedback. I saw somebody mentioned the iFrogz tadpole the other day. I could get one of those.

9. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

honestly, my girlfriend and I run together, and I've really liked the airpods for this. She can have one and I can have the other and they're both in sync and stay paired just fine even when fairly far distances away.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I also suggested the Airpods. Excellent product. The only downside with running, is they have no sweat or water resistance. Otherwise, this is my recommendation.

11. WingNut33 thread starter macrumors newbie

WingNut33

It's been a while since I started this thread. Since then, I got my Watch, and I've been enjoying it. I still think it's a bit ridiculous that you can't listen to music through the speaker. I think Apple should leave it up to the individual user if they want to listen that way. I might. I did notice, though, that when I've used the NRC app while running, the voice updates on my time and pace come through the speaker. I didn't really have a problem hearing those.

This is what I ended up doing to resolve my problem, as I didn't want to spend the money on the Airpods, and Apple earbuds always fall out of my ears. I bought the iFrogz Tadpole (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HY803OY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and put an adhesive belt clip on the back. I just put that on my waistband, connect, and go. I know that means having another gadget on me, just like running with the phone, but it's small and unobtrusive. The speaker definitely gets loud enough. There's no bass, so the music is a little flat, but it still works.