Music transferred onto new iMac won't play

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tgaleza, Apr 6, 2014.

1. tgaleza macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new iMac to replace my late 2009 iMac. My iTunes library contains roughly 900 songs that were transferred to my new iMac via a Time Machine backup. Apparently, there are about 100 songs within my library that were purchased back in 2007-2008 with an old Apple ID that I used to have. I have absolutely no idea what the password is for that old ID. I can't retrieve the old password via any of Apple's normal means because I no longer receive email at that address. When I try to reset the password via the "security questions" route using my current e-mail address, it says that the birthday that I entered is not accurate (I know my own birthday for goodness sake!). Therefore, I'm stuck. I can only assume that Apple somehow disabled that old account.

Even if I was willing to re-download the songs and pay for them a second time, the Apple store won't permit me to re-download them because it can tell that the songs are already on my iMac. Instead of seeing "$1.29" on the purchase button, the button simply says "Play". Then, when I hit "Play", the dialog box informs me that I'm not authorized to "Play" that particular song. This is really annoying. What can be done to resolve this problem?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A subscription to iTunes Match should allow you to redownload all your old DRM music in a non DRM AAC 256+. Just unsubscribe at the end of the year.

3. tgaleza thread starter macrumors newbie

Not Interested in a Subscription that I don't need.

I already do multiple on-site and off-site backups of my entire iMac.

Let me rephrase my question - How can I regain access to the music that I've already paid for without having to refill Apple's coffers via a subscription that I have no need for?

4. Ganesha macrumors regular

Have you checked the old keychain from your old Mac? There might be an old iTunes password hiding in there.