Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Something new in 8.4: Battery Usage shows Music using 6% of battery in last 24 hours ("Low Signal"); and 2% in last 7 days ("Background Activity"). I never use the app, and even have Show Apple Music switched off in the Music settings (note: I never even joined the Apple Music trial). There is no option to turn off Background App Refresh for Music.

This sucks. I left Android (in part) because of stuff like this (processes running in background, eating battery).

EDIT: I manually "killed" the Music app by swiping it away in the task switcher (it was still there from when I opened it briefly to check things out after the update). Will report back if that makes a difference over the next 24 hrs.

Last edited:

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Aaaagh... it's back (with a vengeance)!!

WTF... I don't use the Music app!

IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1077.jpg

Last edited:

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
reset all settings and then turn off the 2 Apple music settings...

if not, do a clean install, hardwired through itunes...

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Settings > Music : turn "show Apple music" off
Settings > general > restrictions: turn "Apple music connect" off
Done! Enjoy your everlasting battery!

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
reset all settings and then turn off the 2 Apple music settings...

if not, do a clean install, hardwired through itunes...

Thanks, but also ugh... I'll probably just wait until I upgrade my phone in a few months.

Actually, I did a restart y'day, which seems to have fixed it again (if only temporarily) -- Music has dropped off the "Last 24 Hours" list.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
This is totally unrelated (and sorry) -- but how do you do that thing where you quote several different people in a single reply? Folks on here do it all the time, but I've never figured it out...

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Aaaagh... it's back (with a vengeance)!!

WTF... I don't use the Music app!

View attachment 571901 View attachment 571902

From what I could tell in a few days of testing on 8.4 before rolling back to 8.3 (while I still could), virtually all third party apps that use audio tie in to Music somehow. Anytime I used a third party music app that wasn't a streaming app like Spotify, Music would pop up in battery usage, even with every Apple Music related function turned off and the app itself kicked out of memory.

My assumption was that somehow the third party app were required to tie into an API that was managed by the Music app in some fashion. Given Music's heavy battery drain, that wasn't something I was willing to put up with, and was part of the reason I went back to 8.3. Unfortunately, that's not still an option.

Anyway, it's worth testing a bit to see it the Overcast app you have listed behaves the same way.

As for multi-quote, it's done by tapping the quote marks in the lower right corner of each post you want to quote, then tapping on the Insert Quotes button that appears below the reply box, on the left side. That button only shows when you have at least one of the quote marks buttons selected already.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
From what I could tell in a few days of testing on 8.4 before rolling back to 8.3 (while I still could), virtually all third party apps that use audio tie in to Music somehow. Anytime I used a third party music app that wasn't a streaming app like Spotify, Music would pop up in battery usage, even with every Apple Music related function turned off and the app itself kicked out of memory.

My assumption was that somehow the third party app were required to tie into an API that was managed by the Music app in some fashion. Given Music's heavy battery drain, that wasn't something I was willing to put up with, and was part of the reason I went back to 8.3. Unfortunately, that's not still an option.

Anyway, it's worth testing a bit to see it the Overcast app you have listed behaves the same way.

As for multi-quote, it's done by tapping the quote marks in the lower right corner of each post you want to quote, then tapping on the Insert Quotes button that appears below the reply box, on the left side. That button only shows when you have at least one of the quote marks buttons selected already.

Many thanks for all this!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.