Music via Bluetooth on a WiFi device = bad idea?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by joepancake, Mar 5, 2014.

1. joepancake macrumors newbie

Both, Bluetooth and WiFi, use 2.4 GHz band, so i wonder if streaming music from my iPhone/iPad to a Bluetooth speaker wouldn't cause interferences? Especially when already streaming music through WiFi (like iTunes Radio)?

Why are there even devices on which you can turn on WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time if those two technologies don't like each other? In times of WiFi Direct, why does Bluetooth even still exist?

Oh, and will AirPlay Direct ever come true?

2. Raventhornn macrumors newbie

Few items, first yes both technologies operation in the 2.4 GHZ Band, key being "band" which is 2.40 - 2.50 GHz [Bluetooth actually functions in 2.4 - 2.485 GHz]. If you end up function in the same frequency, yes they will cause direct interference, however both tend to find an available range free of interference [I am keeping this high level].

I can't speak to why some manufactures decide to tie the wireless functions together from a control perspective [they probably think of it as a convenience or power saving solution].

As to why both technologies continue to exist, they are very different in purpose - Wifi is high power - high bandwidth solution, Bluetooth is low power - low bandwidth solution.

Using Wifi for a headset is impractical, you would be wasting a bunch of bandwidth [even the slowest legacy Wifi - 802.11a would be ~ 40X the required bandwidth needed] and would require a much larger battery than would be practical for any length of time.

It would be like using artillery to break a glass jar.

So, Music via Bluetooth on a WiFi device isn't inherently a bad thing, just as long as you try and keep the channel selection from overlapping. If you want to think of it this way, is using a Bluetooth hands-free set on your iPhone for a call a bad thing?

Different technologies addressing different requirements, they just happen to function in similar radio frequencies...

Raventhornn