music/video on local network thru web?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by twoodcc, Mar 19, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so, is it possible to have a site on my local network that allows others to play my music and videos? what would be the best way to do this?

i have a webserver going and everything, and i have some songs on it, but the only way to play them right now is to go to my domain address, with the file name on the end, and it will play.

but i'd rather have a site with a list of the file names, and i can just click on them to play. and i'd love to be able to keep track of how many times each one was played as well.

any ideas on how to implement this?

2. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Squeezecenter

I know of SqueezeCenter. It is made for Logitech's SqueezeBox's but you can use SoftSqueeze which is just a Java program. It is really cool. And you can pick your songs from SqueezeCenter's webpage. You can even synchronize multiple SoftSqueezes so that they all play the same thing. I have it and its really nice. It doesn't support video though.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I use to stream music from my Windows machine. I used something from Winamp I think. It allowed me to access a specific page on my site to setup a playlist and then I could put in a URL for the music and stream it that way. So essentially you'll need some sort of streaming software on the server to handle the requests.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply, i'll check that out

thanks for the reply. oh ok. see, i have a folder called "stuff", and inside it is a few songs and videos. if i go to this url: http://mydomain/stuff/name_of_song.mov it will play it in safari thru quicktime (i converted the songs to .mov instead of .mp3

so it seems that there should be a way to do this

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i installed this, but cannot get it to work. i see the site and everything, but what 'player' do i use? it says 'player not found'

6. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

You have to have SoftSqueeze running.
    Its just a Java app that runs on the desktop and looks like Logitech's SqueezeBox. It just plays the music for you.
    here I have a screen shot of where to click if you dont know.

Attached Files:

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks! i got it to work now!