Music Video workflow tips using FCPX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by logicpro7, Sep 30, 2012.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,
    Just working on my first project which is a music video and could do with some workflow tips using FCPX.

Atm, i am all set up and ready to start editing but wanted to make sure i start this the best way possible with regards to time/workflow.

I currently have most of the full length shots lined up in the timeline which are synced to the studio master audio track... Now would it be best to remove these and use the new multicam edit? Or cut sections from the timeline full length shots and place on a new track at the top in the same position?

I shot the video on a 7D 24p 1/50 1080p with the cinestyle setting and sharpness set to minimum alongside a few other adjustments as suggested by Philip Bloom. Now as this music video will only be on Vimeo and Youtube (1080p), would it still be best to add sharpness in FCPX?

What would be your flow when adjusting the raw flat footage in FCPX? Adjust exposure? Sharpness? Colour Correction? And does it matter in which order you do these?

Any advice on how you guys normally go about editing a music video would be great... I have been reading and studying books and various tutorials, but i want to make sure i do it right first time rather than waste time.

2. daybreak macrumors 6502a

When it comes to editing one can only show how to cut but the pace you can only learn. We all can have a piece of the same video and cut it differently.
    Regards to music..... the most simplest way is to lay the music track on your timeline and cut to the tempo you feel fit.
    It is better you make some mistakes as you will then understand the meaning of editing.
    I cut some pop films in the 60s to the music with using cut away of faces, guitars etc.
    But you as the editor experiment and you future project will be easier.
    I know that my statement is not what you wanted to hear. Use your imagination and have fun.

3. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input.

I should be ok with the creative part, i work in the music industry and the music video is the genre i work in. I know i will still make mistakes etc.

I am more looking for workflow tips rather than creative tips.

I just dont want to start the long way around, when i could have started editing a quicker way.

4. floh macrumors 6502

I only edited one amateur music video, but there are some things I found really helpful (after having done different things for a while). I did not only have several "whole takes", but a lot of short shots of people, instruments or landscape, so I don't know what you can take from this... anyways:

- I (of course) had the audio track as the base track.
    - Then I sorted all the shots that I definitely wanted to have in the video on top of the base track
    - and all the ones that looked good, but not brilliant below the main track.
    - I then set markers on the music track (sometimes just for the beat when I felt it suitable, but mostly for major changes in the track). That made it easier and quicker to align some of the shots the most effective way and get an overview of the track.
    - After that, I aligned the "must have" shots above the main timeline to where I roughly wanted them (most were synced to the music, but others were movable).
    - Of course, then I picked the bottom ones I wanted to add.
    - Finally, for colour correction, I found it really helpful to make compound clips of the shots that belonged together and color grade the compound clip as a whole, that makes it easier to control what your correction does to all the parts you want to apply it to.

I want to clearly state here that this was a very quick and dirty cut, not a lot of time went into this. Also, I might have used some wrong technical terms since my FCPX version is German. :)

And: Be aware that FCPX seems to be very nicely suited for music video editing and there are probably many useful worflow videos on youtube. Sadly, I can't remember having seen one, so I can't recommend any, but it's worth a search.

Good luck and have fun with it.

5. stueee123 macrumors member

This video was very helpful! I would definately take advantage of the multicam features, see if FCP can sync the clips using audio though, i made the mistake of manually lining up all camera angles for 1 hour, until i let FCP do it, and it took 30 seconds, and was much tighter than mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQYqKckQbNo

6. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

I am still on FCP7, but this might help if you (or someone else) translates this to FCPX

• Music on audio track
    • Then on the video (base) track a slug (for example a gray image for the duration of the music)
    • While you play the timeline realtime, you 'cut to the beat'. This means you make cut-points in the slug (in FCP7 with Crtl+V)
    • At the end you have not one slug, but a lot of consecutive slugs, on the beat of the music
    • Replace edit the little slugs by the video part you want
    • Fine tune the edit points (roll edit)

Works very intuitive (and very quick) because you hit the key according to the music. Works like a charm, but uhhh, fcp7 keys.

Grtz

7. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the great advice guys!

Richardthe4th, that sounds a good way to quickly get something going, maybe someone on here could advise similar a FCPX way too :)