Music While Sleeping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samwise592, May 19, 2007.

1. Samwise592 macrumors regular

I finally pulled the trigger and switched from PC when apple released that moderate speed bump, and i dont regret it at all.

However the Macbook goes to sleep when i close the lid, and i like to listen to music while i sleep...
    I assume it sleeps for a good reason (power, heat, etc) and i've also heard that it preforms maintance scripts while sleeping overnight....

I wanted to know if there was a way i could play music overnight while still having these benefits

Thanks in advance

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I don't think that's going to happen. Also, wouldn't the closed screen cover the speakers? I'd say get a cheap refurbished iPod if you don't already have one for like $50-100. Then just plug it into external speakers. For your situation, I'd have to recommend the iHome. It's $99 (it may have gone down), has relatively good speakers for such a small set, a built-in alarm, radio, sleep + wake up to iPod, etc.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Insomniax keeps the computer on while the computer sleeps...close all other programs except iTunes and power consumption should be fine if you keep it on a hard surface :)

4. Samwise592 thread starter macrumors regular

Psychoswimmer, i use external speakers with my macbook anyway, so that inst a concern. Up until now i have been using my ipod (5th gen) and its been working alright.

I just discovered insomia X, are there any negatives to this program?

5. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Other than the potential for over heating, I doubt it.

I really, really doubt that it would execute maintenance scripts while it sleeps, more likely it will execute them overnight if it is awake.

Just my 0.02 GBP,

Alec

6. DanielGilbert macrumors member

Not sure where I found it, but I downloaded a widget that sends the macbook to sleep after a given time period. So I just plug the macbook into external speakers, leave itunes running on a playlist, set the widget to a 20 minute countdown, and after I fall asleep the mac goes to sleep. Cunning, no? :D

Edit: Here it is http://martindavidsson.blogspot.com/2005/09/dashboard-sleep-widget.html

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Misleading (besides being a contradiction!)... it allows the lid to be shut while preventing sleep mode. In sleep, processes don't run. Sleeping Mac = no music.

You could however use that to be able to close the lid and keep the Mac awake, then shut down all other programs and tell the display to sleep, that's probably as close as it gets.