Music with a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamescwarren, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi, I currently have a first generation core dui 2.0 MacBook, and am looking to upgrade it to one of the new unibody ones. I'd probably choose the high end MacBook, but I am starting to get into creating music. Is the lack of Firewire on the new MacBook going to create lots of problems? I looked on Apple's UK store and the majority of music equipment was USB based. Is Firewire just mostly used with video editing? :S Sorry if this has been asked before, I just want to make sure I'm not spending a few hundred more for a Firewire port! Thank you!!

2. MrM macrumors 6502

Over here in the US it's pretty well split with USB and FireWire. Everything I use has USB, but I have a BlackBook (2.4 ghz) so I can use both.

Just make sure whatever you end up getting, that you have enough ram. Some applications I have used run a little slow when I only had 2gb's of ram. Since then I've upgraded to 4gb's and it's truly a great little music editing machine for me.

3. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thank you :) so hopefully if I were to find something that was Firewire, the chances are there might also be a similar USB device? Just so I know I'll be able to do the music on it.

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I do lots of recording with my macbook and ive really liked tascams products, and most of there interfaces are all usb or usb capable if you purchase a seperate cable:)