Music without a computer?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by wd89, Feb 20, 2011.

1. wd89 macrumors member

Not sure what's happening to me (must be getting older) but I'm bored of computers. I still LOVE my music and every song I "own" is on CD.

I no longer want to boot up my computer (Mac mini) to play my songs (through the telly connected to home stereo) as it's all I use the computer for. I actually couldn't care less if I never went on the internet again (except to see the replies to this thread, obviously)... and that's no exaggeration.

What are my options? I have absolutely no idea where to start. I don't want to go back to pulling each CD out when I want to play a song as I love the shuffle feature of iTunes but what can I use to play my music?

* I don't want an iPad, iPod, etc.

Thanks!

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, if you want all of your music on one device, but don't want that device to be your computer, then it'll have to be something like an iPod. It could be the previous-generation AppleTV, it could be an iPod Classic, it could be one of a number of non-Apple music player devices.

But you can't just magically have all your music in one place without having a device to store them on.

3. FroColin macrumors regular

Option A:
    Get a record the size of the world x3 and put all the music on that. You might want to set to up to orbit the sun so you get some gravity on the top. Also you could get all the movies on one strip to orbit your record so you can go over there when you want to watch movies

Option B:
    Get a large hard drive implanted in your brain, probably best to get it so it's actually controlled by your mind so you don't have to deal with buttons

Option C:
    Get the largest CD player in the world that will have all your disks in it

Option D:
    Hire all the bands you listen to as your staff so when you want to hear music they will just play it for you

Option E:
    Memorize all the songs, and hum them

Option F:
    Get a music box that has the melodies of all your songs, this will have the added benefit of the ability to change tempos. Just crank when you want to play!

Option G:
    Get an iPod (Or other MP3 player)

4. FroColin macrumors regular

On second thought this might be a bit unrealistic. ;)

5. wd89 thread starter macrumors member

Grow up.

I'm going to get a DAB radio that plays MP3s via an SD card.

Any suggestion of somebody wanting to move away from Apple products on here clearly upsets people (and yes I know this an Apple community) but don't be so sensitive.

6. FroColin macrumors regular

No no no, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to say that you NEED apple products. I was just saying you need an MP3 player, which I got the impression you didn't want. Apparently I misunderstood your post. I thought you didn't want to computer or something like that to play your music and I was trying to make a humors comment on how that is virtually impossible. The option you just mentioned would work fine, by all means get it. I thought that your post was saying you didn't want something like that.

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

How about something like a media center or whatever those things are called. A friend of mine has all his Blu ray movies and music on it.

8. wd89 thread starter macrumors member

In that case I apologise for overreacting - sorry.

I'm aware that to convert the songs on my CDs to MP3s I need a computer but I just didn't want to have to boot up a computer to play them every day. The DAB option I mentioned will be perfect for me as it allows shuffling of the music and I can also record live radio shows to the SD card to play back when I get home. I have a poor internet connection so BBC iPlayer, etc are frustrating to use as catch-up services.

9. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I leave my computer on, so I don't have to boot it up when I want music..which is often.

However, I would look at one if the Western Digital media players if I were you. It can access a lot more music than you can put on SD via its hard drive or via USB connected hard drives.