Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I'm getting a very strange issue with my iPhone... When I play a video using Safari the music isn't stopping and I can still hear it playing over the video..... If I close Safari via multi-tasking then I typically get around two days and then it starts again. It's only started happening since Christmas and I've tried all the usual e.g clearing cache and history etc.

It happens with both Music.App and Spotify. I've tested with Chrome and that works perfectly i.e the music is paused.

I'm running iOS 7.0.4 and I don't use 'Private Browsing'.

Does anybody have any suggestions other than a full restore?

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
I can tell you the music app is supposed to play in the background, same with spotify. Nothing wrong with your phone, just how the apps were made and the how the OS is designed to handle "background" music.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I can tell you the music app is supposed to play in the background, same with spotify. Nothing wrong with your phone, just how the apps were made and the how the OS is designed to handle "background" music.

Did you read his post correctly? I would expect any music playing to be paused when playing a video in Safari.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Could always try a fresh reformat of the phone?
Certainly an option but one of the last ones. It would be worth trying to simply restart the phone to see if that might get things back into working order. Beyond that resetting settings might be with trying before considering an actual restore.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's a strange problem indeed.

Having you tried restarting the phone (home button + power button until you see the Apple logo)?

Only other thing I can think of is restoring the phone from a back up first. Restore from new as a last resort.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Yes, I've tried the basics e.g soft reset and simple restart. I've tried a full restore but I obviously need to restore from backup, so the problem still occurs.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, I've tried the basics e.g soft reset and simple restart. I've tried a full restore but I obviously need to restore from backup, so the problem still occurs.
What if before restoring from backup you try it all out to see if there's a difference (at least to see if it's something related to the backup, or something else)?

tacotester1

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2013
that exact thing was happening to me on youtube on a desktop.

close window
and audio is still going

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.