Musical Instruments

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Muso241, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Muso241 macrumors newbie

Just came across this on youtube:

Did some research, turns out it's called a Chapman Stick. It's a sort of 12 stringed guitar, and is quite bizarre, but the way this guy plays it and covers multiple parts at the same time is phenomenal. Just wondering, what are some of the weird and wonderful instruments you've come across? Thought we should dedicate a thread to this interesting and potentially rewarding topic :)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

4. Mac2012, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

Mac2012 macrumors regular

Yeah, back in the day when MUSIC was made by gifted MUSICIANS who PLAYED REAL instruments and didn't just PUSH a button on a LOOP that was PLAYED by a REAL musician he he... Music today isn't ART... it's just triggering back someone else's art, it's not CONCEIVED and PERFORMED on a TRUE, REAL instrument.
    I know a few who play Chapman stick... like a harp but electrified.

----------

SOUNDS just like a youngster who knows NOTHING about ART!
    Yeah, only (MAYBE) a HANDFUL of new artists have enough skills to keep you entertained longer than the split second it takes to hit a trigger on a sample loop... they simply aren't GOOD ENOUGH to do a long piece of INSPIRATIONAL MUSIC... sure, they can make a long drawn out POS noise bed... but that's it!
    There was a guy in the day of my touring that played what was known as a "DOUBLE AX" his name was Michael Angelo, and he PLAYED rhythms AND leads at the same time... try THAT on your beat box youngsters he he... the new music today is PIPED IN junk... just devil noises and loops.

[​IMG]

5. Happybunny, Feb 8, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

Well thank you for calling me a youngster. I'm 64 yrs old.

6. Mac2012, Feb 8, 2012

Mac2012 macrumors regular

Well you sounded like one, and when you categorize them as being "on a farm" you don't seem to back up your heritage too much, that remark sounded like a kid talking if you read it. Some of the most raw and creative music came from that era, and they didn't have samplers, and all this crap to manipulate and massage the music... what you heard was actually performed. Sorry, I'd post my pic but I'm 52 and would hate to make you look really, really old he he... you may think you look good for your age but bro, I look 30 and I'm 52 so when I'm your age, I'll look 45! I know your proud of yourself since you were so quick to post but listen, I'd stand next to you and make you feel a but aged... I'm of DUTCH decent myself, so remember that!

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I remember seeing photos of the double necked guitars 'back in the day' - I imagine they must have required considerable skill (not to mention elongated limbs) to play really well.
    Actually, I think this is quite a funny observation. I laughed when I read it. ;)

Okay, the first part of your post is fair comment; but the second part? Seriously? Is that for real? If so.......sigh.

Back on topic, a superb artist (Cuban born, but apparently based in Paraguay) named Alfredo Rolando Ortiz plays a stunning (and, I expect, technically challenging) instrument called the Paraguayan harp. Incredible.

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Man, Michael Angelo is SO overrated... as are all other Guitar Heroes. Soul-less sweep picking, that's all they can do. Listen to David Gilmour and you'll hear what a good guitarist sounds like.

(I feel like I'm a 50 year old guy saying this, but I'm only 19 ;))

And then don't criticize today's music without hearing it... Have a look at Animals as Leaders. Maybe you won't like it but you have to recognize the technical level is much higher.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

"Yeah, back in the day when MUSIC was made by gifted MUSICIANS who PLAYED REAL instruments and didn't just PUSH a button on a LOOP that was PLAYED by a REAL musician he he... Music today isn't ART... it's just triggering back someone else's art, it's not CONCEIVED and PERFORMED on a TRUE, REAL instrument.
    I know a few who play Chapman stick... like a harp but electrified."

Trust me, I work with bands, not loops....It's STILL going. One of the best places for new talent is NZ.

Check out Sonic Altar, Shotgun Alley etc.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Double necks are still alive and well!! Any time a guitarist needs the sound of a 12-string and a 6-string separately in the same song (most often on stage), it's a perfect time for a double neck.

11. wpotere Guest

You don't look very happy or like a bunny. :p

12. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

How about a harp guitar?

video

alas, strings befuddle me... I'll stick with keyboard.

13. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Do you randomly HIT CAPS LOCK all the time?
    Just wow.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'd like to HIT his FINGERS all the time. :)

And another wiener winner is born. :rolleyes:

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  16. Heilage, Feb 8, 2012

Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Dude. You promoted D'Angelo as a soulful and entertaining guitar player. Your argument is invalid.

Eat this, suckers :D

Even Kirk Hammet is better than D'Angelo. And he can barely play with more emotion than Kristen Stewart.

EDIT: Fixed videos.

17. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Antoine Dufour is pretty good too. Similar in style to Andy McKee, but I prefer him.

18. firestarter, Feb 8, 2012

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

LOL... comparing anyone to Kirk Hammet is a bitchslap! :D Kirk has got away with the same nonesense played over a wah pedal for the last 20 years.

ANYWAY - this isn't a 'who's the best guitarist pissing contest' thread... please take that elsewhere! :p

Let's get back on the topic of interesting instruments.

The Chapman stick is great... I've been aware of them for years, as Tony Levin is a great proponent (Bassist/Stick player from King Crimson - and also a fantastic session bassist who's been Peter Gabriel's bassist for years).

19. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Okay I win on the number of strings ;) Welcome the harpejji.

20. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

^^^ Ha! Jordon Rudess was going to pop up in this thread sooner or later! He's a massive fan of oddball instruments... I think most designers send their first demo units to him to try out.

He's a smart guy and can almost always play with skill even after a couple of hours. Unfortunately I can't say I'm particularly inspired by his music...

----------

I'll take your multiple strings, and come back to you with one string.

This is the Slaperoo... a single 'string' (actually a steel band). It's kind of a one string electric bass, with rhythmic possibilities too:

21. dXTC, Feb 8, 2012

dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Interesting thread, OP. Me likey.

Bassist/multi-instrumentalist Nick Beggs (yes, the guy that had the "poodle hair" in Kajagoogoo) has been known to play a Chapman Stick from time to time. Here he is on the Stick, accompanying fellow 80s pop star Howard Jones:

Yes, that's a pick he's shredding with when doing one side. Watch at about 4:21 when he turns it upside down and proceeds to give a symbolic offering to the Gods Of Metal-- while still playing the da*n thing.

EDIT: @firestarter: That Slaperoo thing's sound would be a killer addition to an electronic band-- it sounds like a wild synth bassline.