Musical questions about the ipad 2....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by juliancs, Mar 3, 2011.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

So, iPad 2 is out.
    The garageband app looks very promising, if for no other reason that having an 8 track recorder and (what seemingly looks like) midi regions. Does anyone know if I can plug a MIDI keyboard into the ipad (via camera connector kit) and play that into garage band? I know there are a few solutions around, but nothing easy or concrete. I realise no-one knows yet with the iPad 2, but if I can do that, I will use the ipad instead of getting a laptop - being able to compose music (without trying to play an onscreen keyboard, no thanks) was the last barrier. I don't need fantastic sounds, just sketches while I'm away from my work station. Speaking of which, are there any direct-to-score apps for composing? Like Sibelius....

Thanks

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes, you can.

Check this out... it takes the iPad midi one step further!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmawpl6cIaQ

3. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I've seen a few folk doing things with that korg synth. I'm just hoping Garageband somehow supports a midi keyboard/usb keyboard plugged in. I somehow doubt it though, being apple.

4. Cinnabar macrumors member

This is exactly what most interested me about yesterdays presentation. Very keen to start using the iPad with my guitar, using an input like the Jam from Apogee http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

It all looks very powerful and intuitive. Plus, Garageband will work with the original iPad right? If so, then I may have to pick one up whilst the original version is going cheap.

5. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Plenty for the guitar players, but I'm writing for picture so really need a playable piano.

I've seen the iconnectmidi, but it looks like a huge bloated box at a massive price. The apps have to be modified to accept it as well.

I suppose time will tell - I'll be getting an iPad anyway, as soon as I can afford it!

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It does, it supports midi over USB. That guitar gizmo creates midi notes - so it's a midi device.

People have been doing midi over the photo connector for a while. It works well - with the main problem being the small amount of power the iPad supplies. Coupled with something like a Korg Nano keyboard it's a great setup though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysd6MCHqfMs

7. nashpdotcom macrumors member

Haven't seen anything for Mics though. How can I plug my mic into this thing?

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

9. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking forward to this. This is the only thing I've had to still carry my laptop around for when working - using Logic Pro for recording. Garage Band on iPad will do the majority of what I need now - so think I'm going to sell my 32GB 3G and upgrade to a 64 Gb 3g when they come out here in the UK for the extra audio storage.

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Remember that the iPad is only 16/44.1 though!

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Are you sure? The iPod/iPhone and iPad playback 16/48 (I have lots of music encoded in Apple Lossless at 16/48 that play fine). Creditable rummers are that Apple is looking at offering 24bit lossless music downloads and all hardware is compatible (sans Shuffle).

12. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

For recording, yes. Apparently that's all it supports over USB (or at least, that was the case using iPad1/photo connector)

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

10/4, then maybe this could/would be changed on the next iPad that will likely have Thunderbolt.

14. OSMac macrumors 65816

Try MusicStudio it's an amazing midi seq with instruments, tracks, effects and more.

Using the original iPad I just plugged a midi keyboard in using the camera kit
    and a m-audio midi/usb cable.

It just works, great program for midi.

For audio out recording, cam kit + imic adaptor...

15. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

What midi keyboard are you using?

16. OSMac macrumors 65816

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

There are quite a few midi based apps now. Many of them can do wireless midi.

I have around 5 wireless midi apps at this point. One of these apps is a Garageband controller that is very nice.

It's pretty exciting what's happening with this. The iPad is a good music tool.

The guy doing the piano app with velocity was a mind-blow....really :D

Nevertheless, it was unclear to me form the keynote, exactly what kind of interface is now required. The USB port was fine for midi (along with wireless), but the wired audio input was mono and a bit problematic for recording. I'd guess this hadn't changed, but you never know.