Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Musician Ian McLagan of The Faces is dead at 69. Who next? These things usually com in threes.

http://kxan.com/2014/12/03/ian-mclagan-in-critical-condition-at-austin-hospital/

Yes, I just spotted this on the 'breaking news' section of some news sources I was trawling. Thanks for posting it.

I know that reading about their deaths often comes as a surprise to some of us, (the spluttering disbelief expressing itself along the lines of: 'What? But he was only 69!') but a good many of these 60s legends lived life to the full and partied very hard, the old proverbial stuff of 'burning the candle at both ends'. To be perfectly honest, I don't see longevity being a strong suit with many of the rock legends.

However, RIP Mr McLagan - I did like their music a lot.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
RIP.

The Small Faces were part of that 1960's British Pop wave that took the world by storm.

It's not just Rock Stars, I look at my old class of photo of 1957, 37 children. Only 6 of us left now.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A couple of days ago Bobby Keys died, and now Ian Mclagan. It's a sad week for us classic rock fans :(

Agreed.

RIP.

The Small Faces were part of that 1960's British Pop wave that took the world by storm.

It's not just Rock Stars, I look at my old class of photo of 1957, 37 children. Only 6 of us left now.

The Small Faces are one of quite a few classic groups from the 60s that have a welcome place in my iPod.

Only six left from a class of 35 from 1957? Extraordinary. That is a pretty high mortality rate for a prosperous country in western Europe.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Agreed.

The Small Faces are one of quite a few classic groups from the 60s that have a welcome place in my iPod.

Only six left from a class of 35 from 1957? Extraordinary. That is a pretty high mortality rate for a prosperous country in western Europe.[/SIZE]

Smoking related illnesses, and old age, the average age of that class is 71.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Smoking related illnesses, and old age, the average age of that class is 71.

That would still be regarded as a fairly young age to die in an advanced part of the western world (as the Netherlands is).

Only six out of 35 still alive is quite striking - that is the sort of statistic I would expect from a place like Russia, or parts of the old eastern Europe where lifestyles were a lot less healthy.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
That would still be regarded as a fairly young age to die in an advanced part of the western world (as the Netherlands is).

Only six out of 35 still alive is quite striking - that is the sort of statistic I would expect from a place like Russia, or parts of the old eastern Europe where lifestyles were a lot less healthy.

I should have mentioned that 3 died in one car crash, in the late 1960's.

But because the school catchment area these numbers also included many children of the Dutch Reformed Church. No vaccinations, no blood transfusions, etc. Life expectations are always ten year less than the rest of the country.

Plus it must be noted that until 1965 the Netherlands was a very poor country.
The money really started to roll after "Natural Gas" was found in Groningen.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Lazy Sunday Afternoon - Small Faces

Gone but never forgotten

Steve Marriott 44 (house fire)
Ronnie Lane 51 (multiple sclerosis)
and now Ian "Mac" Mclagan 69 (stroke)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.