Musicians here who use Ipad 2/or 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gregrose, Mar 17, 2011.

1. gregrose macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I am a piano player & I was thinking of getting the ipad 2 as a sheet music reader. I have a ton of sheet music on PDF & I thought that maybe the ipad would be a great substitute to read sheet music on. Im just wondering if anyone here has / or does that now & how it is.

Also any other music related stuff you think i'd love about the ipad i would love to hear, i have an iphone 4 now so im hesitatant to spend that much money on an ipad.

Also is the typing on it a pain in the a? it seems like it would be really difficult to do on, any cool info would be awesome, thanks take care.

2. jackboddy macrumors newbie

Hi Greg,

Although I'm not a piano player, I've found it absolutely fantastic for other music apps. I've used TabToolKit a great deal to learn guitar tabs, and also Ultimate Guitar Tabs, 2 great apps for the guitar.

Also I've used Pianist Pro for playing the keyboard on the iPad, works well to me, but I don't go into that much detail.

GarageBand is obviously going to be good, and the inclusion of all the different instruments with the ability to plug in my guitar makes it a brilliant app. I've also used AmpliTube to plug in my guitar.

Overall I've found my iPad brilliant for the music side of things, but I don't use sheet music or piano really so can't help you with that, but I would strongly recommend going ahead with the iPad purchase!

EDIT: Also, iBooks is great for reading any PDFs so guess that would work for your sheet music?

3. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

If your pretty much only going to be using it to read sheet music then you should just consider getting a used iPad 1 for really cheap. The typing for me is fine and it's easy.

4. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

well i would use it for a lot more then just reading sheet music, I am still on the edge if i should buy an ipad or not, i just dont want to get it & feel like i wasted money on a bigger version of a iphone

5. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

When people say that the iPad is just a bigger version of an iPod touch or iPhone this is what I ask them: Is a pool just a large bath tub? The truth is that a pool is NOT just a large bath tub, it is so much more.

6. modul8tr macrumors regular

7. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

wow that app looks freakin damn awesome

8. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

It's apps like that that make an iPad worth having. :D