Must a Mac connect via DHCP to share internet?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jonny B., Sep 9, 2011.

1. Jonny B., Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

Jonny B. macrumors newbie

I will try and write this as clearly as I can, becuase to my mind, it seems really quite unreasonable. I have two Macbooks that can connect via DHCP automatically to my router and I can share wireless internet easy and just fine from the both. However, I have an iMac that cannot (for a mysterious reason) connect to the same router via DHCP automatically and I must type in all the values for IP and stuff manually. I cannot share Internet from this iMac despite the two macbooks being able to conenct to its network. Any ideas why? Thanks!
    ps iMac running 10.6. One of the laptops is even a powerpc running 10.5 and it still works.

2. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't be an issue, but why not just get a cheap wifi access point?

3. Jonny B., Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

Jonny B. thread starter macrumors newbie

Why spend money I don't have to. Less clutter as well I suppose. It's an issue!! No idea why this one computer should not work, I've tried disabling firewalls as well :/ Also if it is of any help I also have trouble filesharing from this computer as well. ie, other computers cant get at it sometimes.

4. Protiusmime macrumors newbie

iMac Network Preferences

Hello,
    I will try to give you a few pointers on going about joining your existing network.

First, click on your Network icon on the top right of your screen.
    If your Wi-Fi port is not enabled (turned ON), the icon will be grayed out. Click on it anyways.
    Click on Open Network Preferences.
    Be sure you have turned ON Wi-Fi connection
    The Status should show "Connected".
    Check to see if your Router's name is shown in the Network Name box: or, click the selection arrows and then highlight your Router's name that is hopefully listed there.
    Be sure to check mark the box "Ask to join new networks".
    If your Router Name is not shown in the box, then click on "Join Other Network" and then enter in the two boxes in required info. (assuming you know your router name and security info.
    If your router is transmitting its SSID, your iMac wi-fi should show it and enable you to connect.
    Now, these suggestions may be elementary and you may already know about them, but it is important to mention them.

I hope this helps solve the problem. Just trying to help at the elementary level (where I am) :D

----------

To answer the DHCP question: No, a computer does not HAVE to use a DCHP ip address assigned by the router. It is an easy way to get an internal network IP address, but you can assign a computer a static IP address. You will need to configure your router to reserve that address so that it does not assign it in the DHCP shares. On a Linksys router, you do that on the Main setup page and under DHCP Reservations dialogue.

5. Jonny B. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for clearing up the DHCP, its just the only difference I can see between the computers that work and the iMac that doesn't. Also, I'm not trying to use a wireless router, I have my iMac plugged in by ethernet to a wired modem and I am using the airport card in there to share my internet, does anybody have any ideas why the network is visible and connectable by wireless to my other macs, but there is just no internet access:confused:? Thanks :)