Must click trackpad considerably hard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by floyde, Jun 23, 2010.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Hi guys,

so I just bought my new 15" Macbook Pro, and it's perfect, except for one thing. It's seems that I have to click the trackpad relatively hard for it to register a click. I'm not sure if this is an issue, perhaps it works this way in all macbooks, but at one point while configuring the laptop for the first time I thought that the trackpad had stopped working. If I click just hard enough to hear it click, I can do this repeatedly and it won't register any clicks until I sort of hit it a little bit. Is this normal? Perhaps it's just a bit tight because it's new?

I actually use "tap to click" instead of actually clicking, but it makes me uncomfortable to have bought something so expensive which is not right. I hope this is just me and not an issue worthy of sending it for repairs. :(

Thanks

2. BigManOnCampus macrumors newbie

Not that I am an expert, but I was just experimenting with clicking and when I clicked just hard enough to hear the click, the click registered and it seems to register every click that I throw at it... So maybe yours is a bit flawed?

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Erm, it's a progressive click. It gets easier to push the further down you are on the trackpad and harder as you get to the top. It's not a design fault, it's the way it's been for the past two years.

4. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

It's not that it's too hard to click, but that it doesn't register the click even though I can hear it, unless I hit it a bit harder. I've been clicking near the bottom, but I'll try to click lower to see if there's a difference.

5. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Hmm well clicking even lower didn't make much of a difference. It's like I have to make a conscious effort to click otherwise I have a 50/50 chance of it being registered. Not sure this is worth the trouble of getting it fixed, perhaps I should just go back to tapping and move on? Perhaps it could get better after it loosens up a bit.

6. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

I just tried this on my friend's macbook and his doesn't have this issue. This youtube video shows a problem identical to mine: link

Would you guys send it in for repairs in this case or am I being too picky?

7. tuna macrumors 6502

Not at all I've used many different macbooks and I can never remember a time when the touchpad physically clicked but it wasn't registered by the software. There is something seriously wrong with your computer, definitely have it fixed.

8. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Well I just went to the store and they let me exchange it for another one, so everything turned out ok :). I was dreading the idea of having it repaired because I've OCD and having my shinny new mac opened after just one day of purchasing it would greatly challenge my mental stability :p.

But anyway, it turns out this is not normal, in case anyone else runs into this problem again, just send it back.