"Must Do's" before/after installing an Intel SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sponsi, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Sponsi macrumors member

Sponsi

I'm planning on installing an Intel X25-M G2 in my UMBP. Do you guys have any before/after installation tips? Also, the company I purchased the drive from has a very limited return policy, so I want to push the SSD to its limits within the first week. What tasks should I perform? Any signs I should look for indicating a bad drive?

List so far:
    Download latest firmware - Done :cool:
    Turn off Defrag

2. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

LMAO what does this even mean?? You're going to take your 64 GB SSD and fill it with 63.999 GB of data? Operating temperature range on intel SSD is 0C to 70C, so you're going to put it in the freezer and run it down to 1C, then all the way up to 69C?? Operating shock limit is 1,000G / 0.5ms, so you will subject it to 999G / 0.5 ms and see if it still works?

Why do you want to do these things?? What a bizarre question. Just use the thing and get on with your life. If you're concerned about a bad drive, get a SMART reporting utility. They work on SSD's and will tell you about media errors.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would worry less about pushing it to the limit and more about enjoying your new toy.

4. Dr-Ludvig macrumors newbie

Yeah you can't really "push it to its limits", filling it up will just make it slower.. But i know there are some optimizations that can be done to make it faster/last longer/not lose speed as fast, but i don't know exactly which..

5. MikeSantor macrumors regular

Search, there are tons of SSD optimization threads...