Must DOs when i get my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cudo, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cudo macrumors regular

hi,

after waiting for a long time and upgrade of macbook i cannot wait any more and i am getting one soon, very soon.

are there any required things i need to do 1st time i get it e.g.

update the system ?
    charge the battery in some magical way to achive best performance ?
    shell i charge it before powering it up ?

please give me some advice as it is going to be my 1st ever mac and hopefuly not last :)

i dont want to get it and do sth wrong..i was wondering if it is ok to use it conected to mains all the time or is it batter to work on battery and when it drains out reconect it? or can i keep it conected all the time ?

thank you for ur input !

cudo

2. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Plug the power adapter into the MacBook and power it on, and let it get a full charge (so don't unplug it for a few hours).

When you get your MacBook you should run Software Update until it says there are no more updates available for your computer, this will ensure everything is up to date.

You can keep it connected to the AC power (plugged in) without any issue, but it is recommend that you do run it on battery sometimes as it is a good idea for the electrons in the battery to move now and then. I'd also recommend calibrating your battery, for more information on this see http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html, it has some useful information on how to keep your battery running well and how to perform a full calibration etc.

There are lots of great programs out there for your Mac, and more importantly a lot of them are free. Some programs that I have installed personally are Adium (allows you to use instant messaging on AIM, ICQ, MSN, .Mac, and many more), TextWrangler (it's a great text/code editor, and it's free!), and VLC (for playing AVI's and other files that QuickTime will not play).

Last, but not least, enjoy your new Mac and welcome to the "family"! :cool:

4. Fezzasus macrumors regular

5. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

this forum is aswome :) the fastes reply i ever got ! thanks a million

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

First of all, install Growl. Second, take advantage of the many Mac application bundles that go on during the year. These can be found at MacHeist and MacUpdate Promo.

7. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, MacHeist II is over now :( How long does MacUpdate Promo last for?

8. alanswalker macrumors member

I was in the same boat waited and waited and waited till today 0 just got one.

First thing i did was download firefox then adium for msging and then i installed flip4mac to play wmv files.

Also i found a plugin to allow me to sync my Sony ericsson k810i with isync!

excellent!

next job is to get add another 3gigs of ram!

9. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

what we are here for :p

but yeah calibrating your battery is a good one,
    installing growl + perian
    if you want to free up some hdd space search the forums to find some useful tips and apps ( i did it and saved lots of hdd space )

10. alanswalker macrumors member

I was in the same boat waited and waited and waited till today 0 just got one.

First thing i did was download firefox then adium for msging and then i installed flip4mac to play wmv files.

Also i found a plugin to allow me to sync my Sony ericsson k810i with isync!

excellent!

next job is to get add another 3gigs of ram!

11. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

oh yeah could call on Adium! seriosuly cool app for messaging

also can i ask where you got that plugin from for the phone i really need that cheers dude!

12. Shua macrumors regular

It took me a few minutes how to figure it out but I have to say its a fantastic app. I look forward to future releases.

13. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

14. tveric macrumors 6502

15. BrokenE macrumors regular

Shua, along the lines of your sig, one that you're missing...maybe...is, when Sharon Stone's husband was taunting a Komodo Dragon with his bare foot..his a** got bit and landed him in the hosptial. What a dumbbutt. Anyway, a memorable one for me.

16. alanswalker macrumors member

I need to add perian!

Adium is good plus search xtras for the mcbeam and u can video chat - though i've nto tried it yet.

Just search google for free sony ericsson k810i plugin and it should come up. any problems email me and i can send you the files - though i wont be till sunday as i am away from my comp for the weekend.

cheers

17. @home macrumors member

Have fun & enjoy every minute of using it :).

Enjoy