must have Apple Tv apps?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kofman13, Apr 17, 2018.

1. kofman13 macrumors regular

got my first Apple TV 4k 32 GB last week and i love it so much. What are some must have 3rd party apps i should get besides services/channels obviously? Like tools, utilities, even games

2. archer75 macrumors 65832

I don't bother with tools, utilities or games on it. My #1 go to app is plex. And another favorite of mine that I feel is very underrated is haystack.

3. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

Games:

Risk - My favorite board game of all time, lots of maps, I don't ever bother with online multiplayer though
    Alto's Adventure - A tranquil snowboarding game Great to unwind after work
    Alto's Odyssey - the sequel, but takes place of sandy hills of a desert
    Song Pop - tests your knowledge of music through the years, fun to play with other people
    Sonic ports - if you are a fan of the originals
    Maybe some others, I will think about it.

4. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow didnt know they had tv versions of those. When i went to game section in apple tv alp store there was like 6 games thats it

5. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

The way that the tvOS apple store is set up is stupid. There are literally hundreds of games, and I have almost all of the free ones.

Another great game is the remastered NES port of DuckTails. I highly recommend using a controller with it though, it sucks with the Siri Remote.

6. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

how should i find all those tons of free games? check the phone appstore and see if they have TV versions?

7. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

They are in the tvOS app store. I can't remember exactly what it looks like, but there is a menu up at the top, one of the choices is "categories", or something like that.

Choose "games". Then browse. I am pretty sure there are subcategories too.

I think you can sort from "top free" and "top grossing".

If you can't figure it out, I will do a step by step of it when I get home from work and I have the ATV in front of me for you.

8. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks so much

9. winstars macrumors regular

Speedtest.net app

Using this app you can see you speed obviously but also using it when troubleshooting,you can tell instantily if you are really on the internet and not just having an issue with a particular app...

10. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

Honestly, just the obvious and typical streaming apps and that’s it. For me, that’s just Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Plex.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

In addition to the obvious (Netflix, Prime, HBO, Hulu, etc)

Channels - get an HDHomeRun and an antenna and stream local channels to your AppleTV.
    Infuse - plays pretty much any video file from a NAS or from a network share on your computer.

12. Muttznuttz macrumors newbie

Muttznuttz

13. akiratech macrumors newbie

akiratech

I would also say if you are a gamer get a controller that works on iOS and Apple TV. A lot of games work better if not only with a controller. ShadowGun legends is a good replacement for Destiny, also Dandra, Chronotrigger and Oceanhorn are fantastic plus sync across devices your progress.

14. fiddysent macrumors member

fiddysent

mlb.tv. atv 4k is truly incredible and underrated

15. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

It would be my go to if there weren't local blackouts :(

16. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

What?? I had no idea this existed! Is it an official app from the TvOs store? Is this free?? I have a nimbus steel series controller.

Whenever I go to the app store, I tend to see the same games highlighted (Racing games, endless runners, etc.) I did get Sonic, but if there's an official ducktails game, I'd download it!

17. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

Yup, it is tvOS App Store. It is also on the iOS App Store, but maybe just for iPad

18. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I was unable to find it. What title is it listed under?

19. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

It should just come up from a search of Ducktales, maybe it was removed? I will check when I get home

20. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

Any chance you found it? I can’t even find an iOS version on my iPad.

Either I’m completely wrong in my searching, lol or there’s a chance it might’ve been removed.

21. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

Yeah, it looks like it was removed for some reason.

I can't find it with a search, but it is in my purchased apps.

That sucks that it is gone. It is a very good game.

22. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I’ve played a demo on PlayStation awhile back. Guess I’ll just keep a closer eye on the App Store now that I know they have a wider assortment of games than what I thought.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Get around the local blackouts using Yonder.tv, which is ~$3/month. Works great for me, very easy.

24. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I used to use a smart dns but it caused issues with other stuff like netflix. Now the NBC sports app streams my local teams so I just use that. I would still prefer the MLB.tv app if they didn't have blackouts, but not worth the extra money for a work around since I have another way to watch.

25. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Yea, I hear ya. I would prefer other solutions for sure. I think smart dns is the best way to get around the blackout restriction for people that have no cable login options. Unfortunately my team, Red Sox, pretty much owns their cable channel which has no good cable-free app for streaming. As I don't have cable, and thus no cable login, it's a non-starter. They don't even have a tvOS app...

I haven't had any issues with this smart dns yet. The old one I used did have some problems with Netflix but they resolved it after I raised a ticket one time.