Must-have apps for a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptSaltyJack, Apr 7, 2008.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

I've already owned a Mac Pro for several months. I just bought a MacBook Pro the other day, though, and want to know what some of the must-have applications are.. obviously ones that wouldn't make too much of a difference on a desktop. I already found iAlertU which looks pretty neat.

Thanks in advance!

2. Saliwa macrumors member

Quicksilver. It is a bit hard to start with, but once you understand it, you will never ever go back to Windows :D

3. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Do a search...there must be over 50 threads with loooonnng lists of programs for mac.

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

smcFanControl is good for monitoring fan use. :)

5. renault4 macrumors regular

check out 1password from agilewebsolutions.com; it is a secure password manager for web sites and other logins--you can sync your passwords between your macBook and your Mac Pro

6. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I assume you're not asking about :apple: or pros apps, so....... my vote is for Ambrosia's WireTap Studio. Really cool recording app. :cool:

7. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Quick list

1. Cyberduck for FTP
    2. Twhirl for Twitter
    3. Adium for IM
    4. Jing for desktop screenshots/video
    5. Conversation for IRC

8. Sogo macrumors 6502

I second the quicksilver! Such a godly program.

9. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Whoa whoa :) I think you guys misunderstood my first post. I already know about a bunch of good Mac apps. I'm looking for apps that are SPECIFICALLY useful to the MacBook Pro. For example, iAlertU would have no place on a Mac Pro or an iMac since there are no motion sensors in either one.

10. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

What about the iStat menus and widgets? I'm sure they're useful on a Mac Pro, but probably even more so on a laptop.

The fan control thing mentioned earlier, too.

11. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, I have iStat for sure. Also got a useless widget that is like a carpenter's level.. it uses the motion sensor. ;)