Must have apps for Macbook (Air)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by naomired, Sep 18, 2014.

1. naomired macrumors newbie

As I mentioned in another post--I am new to Mac OS X (Mavericks).

Could you please help me to prepare a list of 'must have apps':
    1. Utilities and System Management
    2. Academic Tools and Apps (I am going to use it mainly for writing)

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Apps i love are,

Moom , Amazing app that lets you resize windows in whatever layout you want with ease. I couldent live without this app.

Sticky Notification , Great app for school and taking quick notes.

Icopy, Worth 99c they charge as it allows you to store up to 1000 copied clipboard objects you can access instantly.

Expandrive , I use this to access all my cloud storage without having to download the documents (user preference)

Istats 5 , Must have app to view data on your laptop such as battery and network / disks speeds ect.

Those are just a few of the apps i love and use , They have made me much more productive.

3. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

1Password - A bit pricey, but well worth it. Goes on sale around the holidays.

I also use iStat 5 by Bjango; highly recommended.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I don't use that many but

VLC for video playback is must for me it plays anything.

SKIM is great for using PDFs in an academic way notation etc and uses far less computer resource than preview etc.

Transmission a great little torrent client

5. jojoba macrumors 68000

For academic work on mac, I used to keep a blog here, where you might get some ideas: http://macademise.wordpress.com

The main apps I use now for academic work are Scrivener, Curio, Bookends, Evernote, Circus Ponies Notebooks and DevonThink.

Productivity apps: 1Password, Hazel, 2Do, OfficeTime, Notability, Evernote and Skim, Alfred, Caffeine, TextExpander and Default Folder X.

6. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Here is my list:

1. Moom (very good for resizing windows), Dropbox and/or OneDrive and/or Google Drive (for keeping things on the cloud), BootChamp (or something similar for booting on Windows when you want it), Parallels Desktop (not exactly a system utility, but very good for running Windows on a virtual machine).

2. Lots of options here. Here are some:

(a) For taking notes and/or outlining: OmniOutliner or Circus Ponies Notebook

(b) For organizing and searching: DEVONThink (nothing comes near its power)

(c) For writing (outside of a word processing environment): Scrivener (top notch) or Ulysses

(d) For writing (word processor): Microsoft Word (the Mac version is inferior to the Windows version, but it is likely that you are required to submit any manuscripts in Word format, so this may be a must-have; you may also run the Windows version on Parallels or BootCamp), Mellel (very good for academic writing, but not very compatible with Microsoft Word), Nisus Writer Pro (more similar to Word), LibreOffice Writer (if you are not willing to spend a penny, it works fine)

(e) For managing references (the choice will largely depend on compatibility, so it may vary according to your word processor): Endnote (standard and cross-platform, but expensive), Sente, Bookends (both very good but Mac-only), Zotero, Mendeley (both good and cross-platform)

Although it is free, I do not use Apple Pages for academic writing due to its serious limitations. It lacks features that are useful for writing academic texts.

7. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I'm really interested in Expandrive and found your post. Can you confirm you can actually see all Dropbox file and only download them 'on the fly' when you open the file instead of having to keep a local copy like with the official client?
    Thanks!

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you got it , its exactly as you think.

i have 6tb in copy.com and 100gb in dropbox, i have access to all these and they take up 0kb on my laptop.

just grab it from there site and use the demo (limited to 20min per time).

the dev is very good at fixing bugs so i did not mind paying him.

9. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

This is pretty awesome!!
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try it right away.