Must Have Apps !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Deshke, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Deshke macrumors newbie

What are the MUST HAVE apps for Mac OS X in your opinion ?

What apps makes your life more comfortable ? Or are just cool ...

Tell me :) SPEAK UP !

2. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

3. Deshke thread starter macrumors newbie

how could this help me ? :)

4. mario24601 macrumors regular

Im new to OSX but here is what I use daily:

Adium
    VLC
    Plex
    Mac Office 2011

5. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Snowtape - Great radio app
    Spotify - Music streaming
    MSN v.8 - This new version actually works with the Mac and webcam at last
    EyeTV - For Streaming live TV remotely from my home Mac or work Mac
    Office 2011 - In particular I use Outlook for my emails and calendar, for some reason I have never adopted Apple's iCal or Mail, I don't know why, I just prefer Outlook for this kind of thing.

6. iVoid macrumors 65816

Firefox
    VLC
    Graphic Converter 6.x (7 screwed up the slideshow, so I won't upgrade until they put that functionality back in)
    Openoffice
    Lux Deluxe
    EyeTV

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You could use it to search and find threads like these.

8. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    please don't shout

Frostwire
    Handbrake
    RealPlayer (with agent)
    VLC
    ClickToFlash

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Handbreak
    Coconut battery (laptop)
    VLC
    Rip it or Mac the Ripper

10. Deshke, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

Deshke thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL (sorry for shout)

:D thanks guys, i will look into this ones :) im also new at mac os x so wanted to know the handy apps ;)

and how about Openoffice vs Office for mac, the only thing that is gonnahelp me for choosing wich one it , wich one uses the least battery

edit : Cocunut Battery : do you really see some improvements? :)

11. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

Firefox
    Espresso
    Photoshop
    Mail
    Minecraft

:D

Quite honestly, Apple iWork is the best office suite apart from Microsoft Office for Mac (which, in my opinion, surpasses MS Office for PC!).

OpenOffice is super though, but I like Google Docs. You should take a look at both OpenOffice and Google Docs and see which one you like.

Coconut Battery doesn't change the way the battery operates, it just shows you live statistics about the battery. It will not increase battery performance by any means.

12. Deshke thread starter macrumors newbie

oke thx :) hmm google docs, i always thought google docs were basic programs for simpel editing ?

i really can't deside what to install :p openoffice vs office for mac or iWork (what is goign to be updated shortly :) )

13. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

My opinions;

iChat - supports chating, video conference, file transfer, and screen sharing with AIM, ICQ, MobileMe, gtalk, Facebook, and all other Jabber services. (my personal IMer.)

Microsoft Messenger:Mac - If your contacts prefer MS Live Messenger and Yahoo Chat AND/OR your company uses that MS IM server, (MS Messenger and Yahoo users can cross talk.)

Yahoo chat! - If your contacts prefer Yahoo Chat and MS Live Messenger, (MS Live Messenger and Yahoo chat users can cross talk.)

Skype - If your contacts prefer Skype. Just use the Skype official client.

Perian - It will enable Quicktime to play almost anything.

VLC - It will play anything. Also needed for DVD reading of handbrake

Handbrake - Useful to convert DVD to iTunes

Mac Office 2011 - most people like it for office apps, personally, (I find it difficult to work with and extremely over-priced. However, I seem to be in the minority. I perfer mail.app, contacts.app, iCal, + iWork)

Openoffice - some people like OO. The price is excellent. (As I mentioned, I prefer the Apple products)

Google Docs - some people prefer it. (I'm just not that cloud suave)

Firefox - If you like Firefox, (I use Safari on mac, chrome on anything else. Xmarks to sync my bookmarks between them)

chrome - If you like Chrome, (see above)

Xmarks - If you use more then one computer, Operating system, or browser it'll keep your bookmarks in sync

Dropbox - keeps a couple gigs of files synced across multiple machines, (windows, linux, mac, iphone, web.)

ClickToFlash - If you need flash installed, CTF will disable most of the junk pop-ups you'll come across.

Cyberduck - GUI (S)FTP client

iPhoto - awesome photo management (for personal use, not good for professional use)

keka - for uncompressing files in pretty much any format

Parallels Desktop - if you need virtual machines (you get sometimes get it on sale for really cheap, otherwise get VirtualBox)

VirtualBox - opensource virtualization software from Oracle

MS Remote Desktop Connection for Mac - best RDP software made for doing RDP connections to anything MS.

Smultron - for editing UNIX files

MacFUSE - for reading/writing other filesystems (you know if you need this)

14. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

You would find much more information in the appropriate forum. This is the Macbook Air forum, head over to the OSX forum for this type of information.

15. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

iWork is very likely to see an update next month. MS office for mac just came out last month, and the next OpenOffice will be LibreOffice. (currently in RC1.)

16. Alvesang, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

Alvesang macrumors regular

Alvesang

I do understand that waiting for an iWork update could generally be considered to be wise, but seriously: How many users do actually use all the features of the already available office suits? For writing letters I could still use my old copy of Office 2000 without feeling limited.

Maybe some new keynote features could be interesting for people who rely on great presentations. I am employed as a trainer in the field of photography and I have to use PowerPoint at work, but I try to keep the usage of presentation materials at a minimum and like to improvise a lot - depending on the audience.

Maybe some new features in keynote could be interesting for businesses. But for private usage I really don't see the big improvements. Maybe the next iWork will prove me wrong.

However, I really would like to know which of the many features of office suits you are using. Maybe I could improve my office experience. ;)

17. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

For a great yet free word processor, with lots of bells and whistles, you cannot beat Bean.

18. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Little Snitch: A firewall type that monitors and lets you set what has outgoing connections. Great for catching those apps that trying to send stuff home even though you wouldn't know it without little snitch.

19. Deshke thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright , Nice one :) thx

20. Bigtree macrumors 6502

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unfortunately, only about half of the aforementioned applications will be allowed into the MAS.

22. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

True. Good thing we can still install apps like normal.

23. lythium macrumors member

Adium - Chat
    Cord - RDP
    Colloquy - IRC
    Dropbox - tho not nearly as much anymore since the MBA goes everywhere with me
    PDANet - free droid tethering.
    InsomniaX - for when i need to close the lid WITHOUT dropping all my sessions

24. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

The just released UltraEdit for Mac.
    MS Office
    iLife of course.
    1Password
    VMWare Fusion (just in case you need to run windows)

25. Quasimoto16 macrumors newbie

Dont forget GiMPSHOP- open source photo editing program