Must Have Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kwabena, Apr 11, 2007.

1. kwabena macrumors member

kwabena

Anyone tried any of Dave's software?
    Acquisition, Xtorrent, Newsfire and Inquisitor. They are superb.:) Newsfire is the best news feed app. All the apps are so great, I registered them all. Inquisitor is free. It's really inquisitive. You'll love them, trust me. Get the trial and decide for yourself.

http://www.newsfirerss.com/blog/

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I too am a fan of DW, but you might win the super-fan award ;). I've paid for NF and Inquisitor, but his other apps are kind of a wash, IMO.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Xtorrent is a prettied up version of Transmission that costs $20. I'd just get Transmission and save yourself the $20. NewsFire is worth the money, though :)

5. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

thanks for the info!!

6. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I didn't know you can search for torrents or subscribe to RSS torrent feeds in transmission. :cool:

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Touche. You can't do those things with Transmission, but Transmission also doesn't cost $20 :) BitRocket has fairly basic support for Searching and RSS, but sadly it appears to be abandonware at this point :(

Searching and RSS, nice features though they may be, aren't reason enough for me to spend $20. That could just be me, though.

8. kwabena thread starter macrumors member

kwabena

No. 1 Fun

Xtorrent is better than Transmission & BitRocket. It's worth thw $20. No comment on Inquisitor? It's cool. I hated it at first but now, I love it. NewsFire is the first News Feed Software I used and I can't seem to change it. Glued to it. Just try them

9. marine610610 macrumors regular

What is the catch with Xtorrent? Maybe its my windows background speaking, but any software that does these kind of things rarely does them for free. Do pop ups, spy/adware etc... come with it?

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Huh? Most BitTorrent applications are free. In fact, the only one that immediately comes to mind that isn't free is Xtorrent. And no, no spyware/adware comes with it. There is very little, if any, spyware/adware out there for the Mac anyway.

I have to reiterate, huh?

11. marine610610 macrumors regular

I understand what you are saying. I do not have a lot of experience with torrents and almost none with Macs. I was thinking along the lines of P2P type software when i posted before. What is the best/most popular free bittorrent software for Mac?

12. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

13. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I have inquisitor installed, but have never found it particuly useful. unless you are on a poor internet connection where it speeds up searching times considerably

14. AppleMan101 macrumors regular

Well Azureus is pretty good, I started with that but it's a bit of a hog, very customisable, but a hog (and it also closes the app when you close the window, which apps jus shouldn't do on mac!).

...but if you're new to torrents I'd have to recommend Transmission. Lightweight and very easy to use...no nasty bits (like spy/adware...much like everything else on the mac).:)

15. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

i like NetNewsWire, but like you said, its the first I used and the only I've used.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

17. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

What's ctorrent? Or is that a typo?

18. reubs macrumors 68000

I got Newsfire in the Macheist bundle, and it's really the only program I use from that bunch. I haven't had an occasion for most of them, and when I move and unpack I'll probably use Del. Library, but Newsfire is a can't miss app if you're a blog reader or just too busy/lazy to manually check all your news sites.