Must-Have FREE Apps for OS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iOrbit, Jul 1, 2012.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

can you recommend any popular/big programs that are genuinely and universally really handy or good at what they do, that are FREE?

examples being:

DropBox

Spotify

Evernote.

im concerned i might be missing out on other good programs, and wanted to see what everyone can share :)

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Caffine. It prevents your mac from going to sleep and can be toggled from the menu bar

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I like "textwrangler" more than the stock text editor.

"the unarchiver" is a good utility.

i like to put "temperature monitor" on my machines as well.

"gfxcardstatus" if you have a laptop with dual graphics.

"handbrake" is a free video encoding program.

"gimp" is a free image editing program.

"libreoffice" is a free office suite, compatible with MS office.

"vlc" is the best video player.

4. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Bean- free word processor. Fairly simple but I like it a lot. Definitely quicker and easier than Open Office.

Handbrake Batch- works alongside Handbrake if you have several vids you wanna load into Handbrake quickly.

Subler- movie tool for working with tags, album art and it also can repackage MKV's to MP4 very quickly.

5. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Google Chrome, Onyx (A cleaning and system maintenance utility) App Cleaner (helps completely delete an application by finding its related files), Monolingual (removes selected languages from OS X), Swackett (a really cool weather app), and lastly, Audacity (an audio editor and full recording app)

----------

Just wondering... what version of OS X are you running?

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

1. Carbon Copy Cloner - best donation ware backup and cloning utility bar none. Even will create a clone of the recovery HD on a Lion-based system
    2. MyPopBarrier - free spam stopper allows you to delete POP based mail on the server before you actually download the mail. Has filters for known bad and good addresses, and key words.
    3. Max - converts sound files to other formats, lots of options and the resulting files have good quality (I use it to convert FLAC files to MP3s).
    All work fine on Lion 10.7.4

7. far.runner macrumors newbie

1. XBMC, best media center
    2. virtualbox, create virutal machine, run windows on MAC
    3. google chrome
    4. Libreoffice, microsoft office alternative
    5. MacPorts, a package management software, like apt-get on ubuntu, a portal to lots of freeware.