Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Gix1k, Mar 13, 2011.
First time iPad owner looking for suggestions..text+ is sweet..
Gv connect + talkatone = win
AirVideo. Hands down the killer app for the iPad, and its only available on iOS. Lucky ducks. :/ im on a xoom
I recently discovered this App-A-Day site, and even though only about 25-50% of them are useful to me, its a nice quick hit for iPad and iPhone apps that you might not know about.
Got Airvideo....not sure I'd want my GV connected to this. Is GarageBand a must?
Zinio-magazine supscription example $15.00 year for Cosomo
Noteshelf- I think I bought them all and this is by far the smoothest when you are writing. I like perfect webrowser but there are slot more out the.
The Weather Channel .... Flipboard...I could go on and on
In before the move..
I'm digging on Flipboard.
Zite, Netflix, Instapaper, Reeder, Overdrive (for free library e books) to name a few.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
No, Charlie Sheen = Win.
I've only had mine since Friday but I've been using Flipboard, Reeder, and Tunein radio mostly.
Mercury web browser <---- hand down the best web browser, I have them all
Skyfire if you want flash
"Must Have" is always going to be a little subjective, based on your interests and what you plan on doing with your iPad. But here goes my list:
1) Flipboard (Free) online news reader/aggregator. It picks stories from around the web based on your interests Twitter and Facebook contacts. Fantastic implementation.
2) Pages ($9.99) from Apple. If you ever need to write something longer than a paragraph or two, its sort of nice to have a word processor, rather than relying on a notepad. Its still a little creaky printing, unless you have one of the ePrint HP printers. But a well made App.
3) Remote (Free) from Apple. Control iTunes on your computer, AppleTV, or iPod touch using the iPad (or touch) as a graphical remote control.
4) Netflix (Free) Obviously, you only need this is you have a Netflix account. Watch streaming movies and TV in bed, in the garage, in the bathroom.....
5) The Weather Channel Max: (Free) Better, faster, and more useful than EITHER the Weather Channel website or even the cable channel. (No waiting around for "local on the eights") I actually found the Weather Channel App gave better, more reliable forcasts than the local media when I was in EUROPE last winter.
6) Speedtest XHD (free): Wondering how good your DSL or cable internet is? This free and easy utility checks upload and download times.
7) New York Times for iPad (free for now): The best newspaper in the world, free, in a well-designed, well-implemented, no-nonsense App. Saves stories for reading offline.
8) TED: (free) Fascinating video talks by some of the amrtest, most interesting people in the world, on a variety of topics. Talks range from just a couple of minutes to a half hour or so. Browsable and searchable.
9) Epicurious (free): Recipe collection covering just about anything you are likely to cook. Combine with a stand in your kitchen, and you have a cookbook whose pages never get stained with flying spaghetti sauce.
10) Pandora (free - premium available): Internet music at its best Create a station that plays just the music you like.
11) Whats On? (free): Local TV and cable (and movie) listings. Hate having to page through the clunky onscreen program guide on your TV? This App provides the same data, in a customizable App that you can browse from your couch, without interupting whats on the TV. Can program it to send you alerts so you don't miss the next episode of Top Gear.
12) ESPN ScoreCenter XL (free): Keep track of your favorite sports and teams. Scores, highlights, plus upcoming game times.
13) Garageband for iPad ($4.99) from Apple: If you have ANY interest or talent for making music, this is a fantastic App. As good as it is for making music - its even better at showing what a fantastic device the iPad is.
14) GT Racing Motor Academy ($4.99) Gameloft: One of the best racing games out there. The perfect (IMHO) mix of thrills, skills, realism, and gameplay.
15) Sketchbook Pro for iPad ($7.99) AutoDesk: A pro-level drawing and painting tool. With layers, custom brushes, colors, text editing - perfect for creating new images, fixing photos.
Terra Web Browser or Atomic Web Browser
Anyone purchased Desktop Connect?
They promise you can remote desktop into any pc over the internet. Obviously you configure each of them to talk to each device.
Seems too good to be true but they do charge $11.99 for the app. wondering if its legit.
Splash top - contoll your pc very smoothly with sound qover your local wifi. Use it to view pad Incompatible websites, video files, or use touchscreen input on any programs that might benefit from it. Doesn't work over the internet but it's faster, easier to setup and cheaper for around the house use.
Pulse - this is my favorite news reader so far. It crams a whole lot of news onto each page with images so you can very quickly scan things, and It opens the full article either half screen in app or safari for full.
Infinity blade - everyone needs one showpiece graphical fame =p
Everything else has been mentioned multiple times, but ill say that having your iPad on a stand next to your pc monitor charging with pandora/iTunes remote/Netflix/radio is very nice.
Edit: still getting used to the ipad keyboard...typos.
Big plus for Zinio. Some of the subscriptions are stupidly cheap and for me, it's what I want out of a magazine reader. I personally don't want to have to scroll in all different directions. I want to read a magazine casually while I'm having lunch.
I'm waiting for the iPad 2 and really missing Zinio.
Many have already been mentioned, but my faves are:
Zineo - some of the prices are crazy good. $8.00/yr for Good Housekeeping, $15.00/yr for Cosmo...
Air Video - streams all my shows/movies from my mac mini which is our "media center"
Rowmote - to control the mac mini.. bought the pro which includes a keyboard and trackpad.. for $4.99 I essentially saved the cost of a keyboard + mouse/trackpad.
New York Times - I like the fact that it feels like a newspaper.
You didn't tell us anything about your intended use of the iPad. But if you have any designs on real productivity (as I do...see my signature) you'll need an app like Goodreader. It can serve as the de facto file system, and it plays nicely with Apple and 3rd party services like Dropbox, etc. It's a super powerful app and highly recommended. Especially given it's ridiculously low price.
Maven web browser. This app rocks on the iPad 2.
A few other suggestions:
Mobile RSS - An EXCELLENT RSS reader for the ipad - its better than using a desktop and I'm in love with it
Wunderlist HD - free to do that syncs with cloud for mac and iphone too
Zagat - very comprehensive and available for offline viewing - includes photos of the food which the book doesn't have
Early Edition and Reeder - other RSS reeders that are very good (but not as good as mobile RSS)
Urbanspoon HD, All Recipes, Yelp, Open Table - Food Apps that I use
PDF Reader Pro - alternative to good reader which is cheaper
What's On - A good TV guide program
Debt Free - good debt manager
No Zineo in AppStore?
Ahh you meant Zinio!