Must Have MacBook Pro Accesories

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigbro1096, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Well, I was going to get a 21.5" iMac, but my room is too small for a desk for the iMac so I'm going to get the 13.3" MacBook Pro instead. With that said what are some must have accesories other than AppleCare and Microsoft Office? Thank you for you help!

2. NelsonB macrumors member

NelsonB

i would definetly recommend the apple magic mouse, and a magsafe adapter so you can charge your computer on the go

3. Lloydehhh macrumors member

For moving around (if your going to be doing that) get a neoprene sleeve, and if your taking it to coffee shops etc, it might be worth looking at a mobile broadband contract.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Dont buy a magic mouse until you try one out...they are very uncomfortable for me. I use a Razer Orochi because of the wireless bluetooth and its great. I also have a Tucano Second Skin sleeve and I just ordered a Hengedock.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't find Apple Care essential myself. Never buy it. Many CCs have free built-in extended warranty coverage so I go with that -- used it once actually. Works great.

You do need a case -- if you travel get one that is TSA regulation compliant so you don't have to remove it when it goes through the xray scanner.

7200RPM HD or SSD is a nice addition. An 8GB RAM kit is relatively inexpensive too if you don't buy from Apple.

That is all I need & buy for my laptops. I find the trackpad easy to use and certainly see no need to carry an ext. one around.

6. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. First, what about the speck satin case thing? Second, what exactly do you mean by MagSafe adapter because I thought the MacBook came with one. Last, do you all actually think the magic mouse is worth it as, to me, it seems expensive and I am use to the track pad. Once again thanks for the replies.

7. hawse771 macrumors member

I wouldn't waste any money on upgrading to 8GB of ram or a SSD HD unless if you are constantly being slowed down by the stock HDD/4GB Ram. I think a lot (not all) people upgrade to 8GB of ram just thinking it will make everything faster when in fact it wont even make a difference unless if you were maxing out your current ram. The SSD will make a big difference but IMO they are still too expensive to justify.

A good neoprene sleeve is a must have for any laptop that travels, and maybe a nice messenger bag. I personally haven't purchased an external mouse because I love the track pad, but if you are going to play any video games I can see this being a must have. The only other accessory I have been contemplating is picking up a TimeCapsule (there are lots of cheap used ones on Craigslist normally) but haven't decided to pull the trigger yet.

8. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your reply! I don't really plan on traveling with it and I don't play video games on it as I have an xbox so it will only be used for papers and research as I will be a freshman in august. With all this being said now on my to buy list is AppleCare, Case, and Microsoft office. Thanks again for the reply

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

another must have is an external HD to run TimeMachine ... enjoy your new Mac :cool:

10. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel like a noob because I am use to only iOS devices. Anyways so what is the justification of having an external hard drive if nothing on my mac will be important? If that sounded mean I didn't mean it like that. One last q. Which has more pixels; the iPad or the MacBook Pro? Thanks

11. Regaj macrumors member

I couldn't disagree more. Memory is one of the cheapest ways to improve performance in a computer. Excepting the very lightest users who do nothing more than read email and browse the internet, maxing out memory is almost always a worthwhile investment.

12. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

Judging by all the ridiculous threads around here. I'm going to go ahead and say you need a bull **** resistant helmet. Critical accessory, don't go on the interwebs without it.

13. hawse771 macrumors member

Don't forget you get a student discount for MS Office with any .edu email (if you don't have one yet maybe someone you know does so you don't have to wait till August). You basically get the Business Version of MS Office for $20 less than the Student addition, I believe it is $99 vs $119.

14. deeesea macrumors 6502

^ This.

Also, veer away from the magic mouse, I'm about to hurl mine at the wall.

Terribly uncomfortable mouse, I commute about 127 km's every weekend, and it's a PITA to use the magic mouse for more than 40 minutes (which is why I only keep it in my bag for those rare moments I don't have my "normal" mouse). I prefer the MX performance mouse, I've got two, one for each house, and the tiny universal adapter means i can just leave it in the laptop. Downside though is that I'm now short a USB port :mad:.

Also take all accessory advice on this forum with a grain of salt, a lot of people here really really love their laptops and they really are OCD about the way it looks and etc as time goes on. If you're like that, then by all means go nuts and buy the recommendations here. If you're not too obsessive about wear and tear on your laptop then pick and choose what accessories you think makes the most economical sense and etc. Don't wanna be wasting your own cash :p

15. hawse771 macrumors member

feel free to, and unless you are a Power User (and watching videos while writing papers/checking email is not a power user) there is absolutely no need for 8GB of ram. I will literally go as far to say that probably 90% of 13" laptop users are perfectly ok with 4GB for most multi-tasking (music, web, paper, video etc). Unless if you are playing intensive games (which would be ironic on a 13" MBP) or doing some serious editing/compiling etc with Final Cut or whatever I can't see any need for 8GB except for bragging rights. You must also realize the OP is about to purchase a MBP 13" which would lead me to believe it will be a new one that has the faster ram 1333MHZ and better processor...even further justification for being happy with 4GB of ram, especially for a soon to be college student. If this weren't true, I feel sorry for the plethora of people running around with 2GB of RAM in their MB/MBA

It's like saying there's no need for a dually turbo diesel pick up truck for 90% of pick-up truck owners. There will be some who fiercely disagree but the truth is most people aren't towing Yachts and trailer homes.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If nothing on your Mac will be important to you such as pictures, music, movies, contacts, apps etc. ... then you do not have to worry about losing those things if your HD fails ... you can then skip any Back-up options.

I never knew there was someone out there that used a computer and was OK to lose everything they ever put on it.

IMO ... backing up your data trumps a case every time.

17. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

Memory requirements are a personal usage matter. Many people will not need more than 4GB. If you think you do, you can go look at your paging and figure it out for yourself. I happen to find 12Gb somewhat insufficient and am looking to upgrade... but that's just me. :p

18. thecommonwealth macrumors newbie

Get some type of palm and keyboard guard. I have seen Moshi recommended, but MRoogle can give you much more results.

The palm area on my MBP has some definite chipping and wear from long usage.

And after pulling out a dust/hairball the size of a tennis ball out of the heatsink of my girlfriend's Toshiba, I am starting to reconsider not having a keyboard protector.

19. hawse771 macrumors member

This is why I am looking at buying a TimeCapsule (so that it can all be done over WiFi instead of having to connect to a external HD). Also bc my Fiancee has a MBA so it would be easy for both of us to back-up all our music/pics/papers etc.

Sometimes you think you don't need to back up things like old papers/essays but i'll tell you what, there have been plenty of times I wished I had copies of old papers when similar topics come up in future classes or trying to relearn something and not wanting to have to google everything again. Plus pictures are priceless IMO even ones that seem mundane.

20. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I think that you have just summed up the whole point of Lion. So many people like the iOS way of doing things. So Apple must be thinking they will sell more macs, if they work like the iPhone and iPods, which people seem to love.

21. hawse771 macrumors member

LOL Jebus, now THATs a poweruser...but you also couldn't even make do on a MBP with your needs given the 8GB max not too mention CPU constraints that wouldnt be overcome even with 32GB of RAM (speaking of CPU in 13" MBPs)

22. akasch macrumors regular

I would definitely recommend getting a backup harddrive. You may not think you will need it, but what about if your laptop gets stolen? Then some classes/core requirements require you to submit papers from previous years so if you didn't back it up you're screwed!

23. saucy1360 macrumors regular

do you guys think Apple Care is necessary for someone like me who will just be using an MBP for the usual stuff (surfing the web, music, mail, etc)? I'm getting one for college this year and I'm not sure if I wanna spend the $200-300 on a warranty I may or may not need...

24. thecommonwealth macrumors newbie

Absolutely. You get a discounted rate, it helps with resale value, and is excellent peace of mind.

25. jimmyhii macrumors member

How's your Orochi? I've heard many things about bluetooth mice, and how they tend to 'lag' after they idle a while (wake up time, reconnect time or smth like that)

anyway, I've used the logitech anywhere mouse mx (M905) and i really love it. If you're a mobile user like me (working at starbucks a lot) you really should get it. It even tracks on glass so you really don't need to bring a mousepad anywhere. On top of that, it's quite comfortable (for me) despite its small size:)