Must-have peripherals?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by diegobgr, Aug 7, 2010.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hi.

My iMac is incoming. It's my first Mac, I hope that I won't get back to Windows never. ;)

AS you know, it come with Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse.

I am new to Mac world, so, there are any must-have accesories or peripherals that I should get? I will get an Apple Remote.

Well, I have an iPhone. I also use it as iPod. Should I get an iPod or with the iPhone is enough?

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

An external drive is essential for backup with time machine. Try and find one with FW800 if you can.

I'd recommend a lacie rugged, but they have a maximum capacity of 500GB so might not be suited. Otherwise a western digital mybook is a good one.

3. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, that one it's going to be a diffcult one for me.

I want a external hard disk to do 3 things :

-Time Machine backup disk
    -Personal photo and music library storage
    -Play movies and series on TV (with a Player that I have on TV)

So, I will need at least 1 TB, and I am going to move it a lot.

More peripherals or accesories?

4. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Can't have a disk do Time Machine and the other two things you want.

You need to have a dedicated HDD for Time Machine and another one for your other uses.

5. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

magic mouse, wireless keyboard, if you could, also add the magic trackpad and airport extreme:p

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Ehh, partition the drive perhaps?:rolleyes:

7. Shawnstra macrumors regular

I would do a Time Capsule (It combines an Airport Extreme + a wireless backup drive). I also suggest getting a Magic Trackpad. (But download BetterTouchTool for more customizability http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=1722), use it alongside your Magic Mouse, it surprisingly adds productivity, especially when you're typing, easier to get to the Trackpad instead of the mouse.

Since you're new i'll give you some software suggestions

iWork - Apple's version of Office. It's somewhat compatible with office, and it's much better, in terms of aesthetics of your work and ease of use

Adium - For social networking. Think of it as MSN Messenger, but you can use Facebook Chat on it, AIM, Jabber, to name a few.

VLC - There's a Windows version I believe, but basically this plays almost every audio and video file format and codec.

VMWare - To virtualize Windows. Probably takes some time for you to get used to Mac so this will help you