Must have programs/utilities for MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjoshi123, May 28, 2010.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Just got my MBP 13, what are the dos and donts for brand new machine ? Also where can I find list of useful programs for OSX ? I'm interested in 2 things - Battery related utilities and how to make sure that battery is good and stands to 10hrs claims by Apple.
    What are people using for screen calibration ?

2. IceBreakerG macrumors member

I'd strongly recommend smcFanControl if you want to be able to manually control the system fans. Comes in handy when the system starts running a little too hot, and the fans don't turn on by themselves. Also, Coconut Battery is another good utility to have if you want to be able to monitor your battery capacity and charge cycles.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While SMC allows you to manually override the control of the fans, the fact is that they DO come on by themselves, when needed.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

SMCFanControl to control your fan speed and better cool the laptop. I have my fans set to 3500RPM at all times.

LittleSnitch is an excellent service that runs in the background and blocks outgoing connections that you may not be aware of. You can set rules to allow or disallow software to reach out to their servers for any reason. This is a must have if you have pirated software, especially Adobe products.;)

5. ztrafe macrumors member

The host file in /etc is better :D And more CPU friendly. It´s like an "Firewall" but only for outgoing traffic.

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Free ones I like: smcFanControl, QuickSilver, Vienna, BetterTouchTool (if you have a MagicMouse, or want Windows7-like window snapping), Onyx, AppCleaner, Handbrake, Fugu

7. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Thanks guys for your help. Seems like we need to have sticky with this kind of list.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There already is one:
    Links to Software Recommendation Threads
    In addition, there are several such threads in the link I posted, easily found with MRoogle.