Must have ram installed incorrectly: 2x2x2GB reads as only 4GB

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by marklight, Mar 7, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

shows up as 1GB - 2GB - 1GB

even though all three modules are 2 GB. I'm sure it's a really dumb installation problem, but thanks for any help.

2. Mastershredder macrumors member

Mac Pro RAM needs to be installed in pairs.

3. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea that's what I was thinking. I ordered 4 GB (2X2) , and I thought that my mac pro would have come with 2GB (1X1), but instead it just came with a single 2GB chip. So I figured that it would probably be something with pairing seeing how it was shrinking down each stick to 1GB.

4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

5. surf4peace macrumors newbie

surf4peace

Interesting. So the implication here is that if you have a stand alone stick of RAM, the pairing rules do not apply? I may be in your boat if that's the case...:eek: Oh well, we'll cross that bridge...

6. MikeL macrumors 6502

Did you happen to notice the second memory riser?

7. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I think you must have hit the nail on the head: the OP surely cannot have received a 2008 Mac Pro with a single 2GB module. There should be a 1GB module in each riser.

If it really did come with a single 2GB module - which is almost never going to happen direct from Apple (and definitely wouldn't have been Apple's intention) - then you will need to return the memory and get it replaced. Buying a second module simply won't do - they need to be matched pairs and the only way to get a matched pair is to buy them as a matched pair. A single module is utterly worthless - it's of no use to anyone.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

In addition to what others have said you will need to configure the memory so that both the 1GB DIMMs are on riser B and the 2GB DIMMs are on riser A, both sets occupying slots 1 and 2.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

10. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

That diagram is for the old Mac Pros, but it's the same for the new Mac Pro with 1 exception: the stock configuration of 2 x 1GB modules in the early 2008 Mac Pro actually has 1 module in slot 1 of each riser, not both together in one riser as shown in the diagram

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Which means that for the OP still might use it to place his RAM, right...?

12. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Yes. They just shouldn't expect to see 2 modules in the same riser as the stock configuration.