Must Have Software For New Mac User? (Basic Computer Knowledge)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aea, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I bought a Macbook Air for my mom, she's a PC user that has been getting fed up with having issues and I've gotten a bit tired of being tech support :p

She plans on signing up for the mac workshops at an Apple Store so a lot of the introduction part is off my shoulders, but the bigger question is what software I should load on the machine beforehand.

I'm getting her iWork since she needs to do minor work processing, but beyond that I don't know what to load. I also do plan on doing a fresh install as to remove all the extra languages and printer drivers and trim down on the amount of space used.

This is for somebody with very basic computer knowledge, so no productivity stuff will be really useful. I know this question comes up ad nauseam, but I need something that will be useful and easy for somebody that isn't particularly good with computers to begin with. 90% of the "Must Have For New Users" items are software that would never be useful for her.

Stuff I'm Planning:
    - iWork
    - Firefox
    - SMCFanControl
    - VLC

Oh, got a drive for doing backups as well, so time machine will be her backup solution ;)

2. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

AdiumX is my favorite multiservice IM client, if she uses IM. I'm not sure what else to suggest for someone with very basic computer knowledge, you seem to have the essential things covered. :p

3. erifneerg macrumors member

Evernote - note taking app. syncs online and mobile devices
    Quicksilver - oh it's just amazing
    Skitch - screen caputre then uploads to there servers
    GimmeSomeTune - gets lyrics and cover art for iTunes music as it plays
    Caffeine - turns off screensaver, great for Hulu/youtube

how about some games?
    Quinn - tetris clone
    Solitaire XL
    Mine Swept
    Cave Story - an amazing find. Adventure game

optional stuff: