iPad mini MUST HAVE Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ron7624, Sep 21, 2014.

1. ron7624, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I got an iPhone 6 on Friday. I just now realized that I can't live without Touch ID. I will buy an iPad rMini 3 if they have Touch ID.
    I must have it, got to have it, I need it really really really really really bad.
    Thank you for listening.
    (It had better be there)

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I *MUST HAVE* a Mercedes-AMG GTS, yet, somehow, I'm living my life perfectly fine without it. ;)

(I would like Touch ID on the iPad though, :p)

3. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Jesus.. it's just a freaking way of unlocking ur device. If you're too lazy to type in 4 freakin numbers to unlock the ipad then just don't set any passcode

4. ToonDoom macrumors member

Agreed. Touch+app extensions+ 1 password. Love it.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Is it really that important OP? I didn't even set up the touch ID on my 6+ lol.

6. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Sell your iPad(s) then buy the new ones when they arrive next month with Touch ID. Whoa! Problem solved.

7. ron7624 thread starter macrumors 68020

ron7624

No, not too lazy but I use my mini at work with lots of people around, even the public sometimes. This was just my way of saying I got it on the 6 and it works really well so far. I'd deff upgrade I'd it makes it to the iPads

8. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Criticizing others when you're too lazy to type four more characters... nice. Irony at its best.

Some people like to have the convenience of the locked device and the touch id.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I know right I would love to have touchID on my rMini... :(

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm also waiting on the next wave of iPads. Using the first gen mini now, but will jump on a new mini or air if it includes TouchID.

11. ron7624 thread starter macrumors 68020

ron7624

After using it for one and a half days I find it so pleasant to use that I would like to see it on my other devices.. Very neat!

12. miketheappleguy macrumors regular

See, I don't think that the touch ID is amazing. It doesn't add security if someone has your passcode anyway. And for me touch Id isn't always accurate. Many times I have to try to put my finger on for 2-3 times before it lets me in. Tbh, I use the passcode much more than touch id.

13. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Just got an iPhone 6 as well. Completely changes the App Store.

I can't live without it now either OP. :apple:

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I use my phone so much throughout the day that having to do it 2-3 times would annoy the **** of me.

15. miketheappleguy macrumors regular

It's not THAT big of a deal tbh. Because it only takes a second or two to tell me it didn't work

16. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It would drive me crazy lol

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Wow, can you be more narrow-minded? Some people have to use complex passwords with special characters and auto locking enabled, so it does get old unlocking the phone. I plan to upgrade to the iPhone 6 and looking forward to Touch ID.

18. ron7624 thread starter macrumors 68020

ron7624

Even though it's only been two days, I have never had touch ID fail to register on the very first touch. Maybe you should register your fingerprints again

----------

I agree. But for me it works first time every time. It is a real pleasure to use.

19. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It sounds like you would benefit from re-registering your fingerprints. When you did the process originally, did you shift your finger around each time it asked you to lift up? When I registered my fingers I would rotate them slightly each time, occasionally shifting my finger up or down over the button, and I even pressed down with the tip of my thumb. It's extremely rare that I need to press my finger down a second time because it didn't take the first; I probably go for days before experiencing one event like that. It seems most people who experience frequent rejections just lift up and put their finger down, over and over with very little variation.

As for TouchID not adding security if someone knows your passcode... that's true, but consider this: every time you type in your passcode, someone could note what you're typing in and memorize your passcode that way. If you use TouchID, there's no chance for them to get at your passcode. You can also make your passcode obscenely long, since you'd only need to type it in after restarting the device. It's a far more secure and convenient option than the passcode you're likely to use without it.

20. miketheappleguy macrumors regular

I've reregistered several times. It works flawless for about a couple days. Then it starts giving me problems.

You make a fair point about someone watching you type in your passcode. However, I have no doubt that it would make little difference for someone who wanted to get your apple device anyway.

21. addictzz macrumors 6502

Apple is really awesome. Fingerprint identification has been available as a feature for most laptops since 2-3 years back. But nobody is touting the usefulness of it. Then Apple announced touch ID which saves you the time and hassle to enter 4 numbered passcode and suddenly people can't live without it.

22. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I don't get it. I don't get why people want touchid. I don't use it at all.

23. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

Why don't you use it?

24. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Why would I use it is probably a better question for everyone. What would I use it for?

25. ron7624 thread starter macrumors 68020

ron7624

Are you a parent? Do you work outside of your home in the business environment? Is there anyone close to you that you would preferred not messing with your iPad? If the answer to these questions are no then I can certainly see your point.
    I have grandkids that would swipe my iPad and play with it behind my back. I don't need them browsing the web for who knows what? I was a kid myself I would have done it.
    Open your mind to the possibilities that there are people other than you that have preferences and needs. :rolleyes: