Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
USB thumb drive of the last 3 OSs?

What kind of disk cloner?

Do you carry RAM for testing?

What are the essential tools a tech should carry at all times?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
No, SD cards with the write-protect switch to "protected". Also buy an SD-to-USB adapter.

Screwdrivers. Magnifier(s). Small light (white LED). Duct tape.
Duct tape? Why not USB sticks if I'm not going to write anything to them? Also aren't they slower than USB 3.0?

My favorite is Carbon Copy Cloner.
what if client has mammoth drives like 4TB?

Btw, I asked a client (wife) what they wanted backed up (this was at their house). She said what she wanted so I backed it up. Husband with an eye patch and facial knife scar came home and said "where are my 10,000 Russian songs?". I was like what?! lol

They were also on his iPod Classic so I knew I could get them off and into iTunes at the click of a button using Senuti so that was ok but I'd really like to avoid that situation again lol

If I'm at the client's house I want to back up as little as possible so I can get out quicker. I was at their place for hours just waiting for Mavericks iPhoto to upgrade the older 100GB Jaguar iPhoto library. Dragging the library from backup to OS disk takes long enough.

Ideally the client has Time Machine but more often not. Most if these people are not even on Mountain Lion. Quite amazing.

What's the best way to backup and upgrade OSs at the client's?

Actually they didn't request the upgrade to Mavericks but I did it for them since I had to clean install an OS anyway and we're friends. Normally I would've installed their same OS or suggested they pay and upgrade then get a free upgrade to Mavericks.

Also you can't import an old iPhoto library unless you upgrade iPhoto which then requires iLife. I installed it for them because they're friends but normally I wouldn't so how would I do that?

Also Mavericks needs an AppleID to download these updates and many times I have to create a new AppleID and iCloud account for them. PITA I tell ya.

Any easier solutions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.