Must I reformat my PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by broncopde, Dec 18, 2008.

1. broncopde macrumors 6502

Ok, so the other day I updated the machine in my sig to 10.5.6 through software update. It restarted after installing, of course, and it went through the apple logo screen with the spinning bars. It then went to a blue screen, from which it usually goes to the desktop after a few seconds. But it never left that blue screen. It gave me a mouse cursor I can move around, and it goes from a slightly light blue screen to a slightly dark lie screen and back and forth. It will do this for hours on end unless I force shut down the machine. What can I do? I ran the AHT off the install CDs and all is well there. Can anyone help me? I really need it.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Run Repair Permissions and Repair Disk from your system disks. DiskWarrior might be able to help but can be an expensive purchase.

Otherwise, yeah. The next best thing would be an Archive and Install from the disks while preserving User Data and Settings.

3. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Thanks for the advice.

Alright, ran both repairs. It gave me a message that the “Volume header needs minor repair” then “Repairing volume” and it completed all that and didn't ned to repair anything else. I thought, "Awesome. It fixed the problem and I'm food to go.". But, alas, upon reboot I still get the same symptoms. I know I could try DiskWarrior, but thaw not worth the money to me. Any other ideas, guys, or is my only other option to Archive and Install?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Sounds like it at this point. Again, some other utilities out there could potentially fix it, however, the cheapest and potentially best "workaround" is to just Archive and Install (don't forget to preserve User Data!)