must own mac apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreeneyes, Jun 30, 2008.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hi,

im still new to owning a macbook.

and i was just wondering if people can recommend some must have applications that all mac users should have/use.

thanks

2. HomeBru Studios macrumors member

HomeBru Studios

Depends on what you like and what you like to do!

If you are iTunes oriented, I love the Amazon Album Art Widget for Dashboard - very fast.

If you like inter-stellar travel, Celestia is pretty neat. If you prefer to stay firmly rooted on earth, Stellarium is nice.

If you like to play, LEGO Digital Designer is fun.

Me? I'm boring... I spend most of my day with Adobe CS3 products (I am currently playing with CS4 Beta and look forward to its release next year).

Macs are loaded with so much stuff, you could spend years exploring the tiny little nuances of its behavior - just today I discovered that it auto-detects headphones being plugged in [drag your volume control to mute position, and plug in some headphones as you watch the speaker icon in the menu bar].

If the above idea doesn't amuse you, browse around your drive and play with all the system software that isn't in your Applications folder.

CLIX is handy for Unix commands

Disk Inventory X or GrandPerspective is nice for seeing what your hard disk looks like.

SeisMac is cool but I live in California so it is pertinent.

xScope is excellent for design work.

Most of all, just shop around the internet and find stuff that YOU like!

Enjoy!

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Must haves will differ from user to user. These are just ones that aren't included on a new Mac that I can't live without. Yes, there is an iWork trial, but I list Pages & Numbers because it is a separately paid-for suite. I probably could come up with more.

Pages
    Numbers
    CocoaBooklet
    GraphicConverter
    DefaultFolder
    Open Menu X
    Toast
    InstantShot!
    Firefox (Safari is my preferred browser)
    SuperDuper!

4. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

do you know any programs that i can download full RSS news feeds, that show that full story woth pictures, that i cn view offline?

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

NetNewsWire
    Vienna
    NewsFire

EDIT: Gotta be honest didn't see you wanted them for offline viewing until after I posted, sorry. Although, NetNewsWire does allow for archiving and this would save them as HTML documents on disk, so it looks like NNW will do what you want.

6. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

great! thanks

7. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Actually, you don't buy Pages and Numbers separately. They are included in iWork along with Keynote.

To the OP:

If you need free full-office support, then OpenOffice 3.0 (still in beta but works well) or NeoOffice 2.2.4 are appropriate and will give you what you need.

8. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

NeoOffice is great & Little Snitch (a network tool)are both definite installs any Mac I have .

9. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I did not say Pages & Numbers were separate. I listed them as applications I can't live without. I don't use Keynote enough to consider it a "must have." I said iWork was sold separately from a new Mac.

10. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Skitch is definitely one of my favorite apps. I would check it out for sure.

11. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. From this post it seemed as if you were indicating they were:

Sorry for any confusion. :)

12. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

13. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

The keyword in my original post was "suite." I don't see any confusion.