Must press interal reset button to boot in 0SX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dejozio, Nov 26, 2007.

1. dejozio macrumors newbie

I have a problem that no one ever heard of. Last year I upgraded my G4 350 apg sawtooth to a 1.2 gig processor and radeon 9000 128mb video card and 0SX Panther, all was glorious. 4 month later one day I booted up and my monitor display got huge then went black. I replaced the monitor with a new one and still no display, I re installed the original ati video card that came with the computer, long story short since then:
    1. My G4 will only boot in 0S9
    2. To boot in 0SX I have to press the internal reset button next to the battery everyday
    3. I replaced PRAM battery
    4. And just purchased another radeon 9000, installed it, still have to press that darn reset button to boot,
    5. Now today won't even boot by performing the reset.
    6. Reinstalled original video and I'm back to at least pressing the reset to boot in 0SX and normal boot in 0SX
    Everyone I tell this to scratches their head #$(&@^!#^!@$
    Any MAC masterminds in here?

2. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Sounds like your logic board kicked the bucket.

3. dejozio thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased another G4 on ebay a while back, just the box, no drives, no ram, do you think by doing a hardward swap from existing mac to other would determine if logic board is fried. I do use my computer everyday, once it boots its fine.

Thanks

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

yeah you could just swap out the logic board with the one you bought off ebay. then again, the one you bought could also have a malfunctioned board. did you get it from a reputable seller and said it was in workin condition?

5. dejozio thread starter macrumors newbie

Is a new logic board worth investing in, any idea of price and good place to buy one?
    Thanks

6. toru173 macrumors regular

Just solder some leads to the reset button and mount it front of the case. Easy solution ^_^

7. dejozio thread starter macrumors newbie

Where on the reset button. What is the theory behind this, sounds interesting
    Thanks

8. dejozio thread starter macrumors newbie

Dauh! got it, didn't think you were serious
    thanks

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

lol i think he was serious and i think that was a pretty good idea too. if you really want to invest in a new logic board, you can find them on ebay for around $50 or less shipped

where did you get the upgraded processor?

10. toru173 macrumors regular

You could spend that 50 dollars on a really nice Bulgin switch...

I was serious, by the way. I realise it's a case of only fixing the symptom, not the cause, but it may be time for an upgrade anyway. It's entirely possible that you could get a new 2nd hand mac for less then the cost of the logic board. I know when I got my G4 400mhz AGP Graphics off ebay it was only AUD120, including shipping - that was a while ago now, too.