Must rave about my new speakers.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mjmar, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I normally wouldn't post about this, but I feel the need to tell all of you how great my new Soundfreaq speakers are. The unit is called the Sound Platform, and it has an iPod dock, but also supports AUX in and most importantly, bluetooth. I saw it on display at my local Target, and decided to play the demo music. To my surprise, the sound coming out of it was stunning, with crisp vocals and deep bass. I'm not an audio expert, but this sounds great, and was comparable to the $399 Bose system sitting next to it. However, what really sets this apart from the rest is the bluetooth capability. All you need to do is press "pair" on the unit and turn on the bluetooth on your iPhone or iPad and the music starts playing. Even the quality of the sound over bluetooth is awesome, with almost zero distortion. It also comes with a remote that fits inside the side of the unit when not in use, and has a dedicated app in the app store for more advanced wireless controls. As the owner of several iPhone speaker docks, I can easily say that this is the best one. It's definitely the nicest looking, and I didn't realize how great of a feature bluetooth was until i started using it. The unit normally sells for $199 at Target, and I think Amazon. I got it for $149 cause it's on sale at Target this week. I highly recommend it if you're in the market for high end iPhone or iPad speakers.

More info here:
    www.soundfreaq.com

2. Reefbone macrumors regular

I like the looks and fuctionality supplied by this system and it is well reviewed on iLounge and Amazon. (Although price is $200 at Amazon now)

I see this wirelessly connects via Bluetooth. What are anyones opinions about this method instead of Airplay? Doesn't airplay attach via the local network?

Any similer systems with an iPhone app that uses Airplay? others without app?

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

A bluetooth audio connection is displayed the same way that AirPlay is on the iPhone and iPad. When I'm playing a song over bluetooth the AirPlay button appears, and I can choose between playing the audio over the Sound Platform or the iPhone. One advantage that bluetooth has over AirPlay is that it works with non-apple devices. AirPlay's advantage is obviously a larger range that you can hold your device away from the speaker (as it uses wifi), but I'm not sure why you would be that far away if you were listening to music. Overall, I'm very happy with bluetooth.

4. bsbuggs macrumors regular

5. bcp23 macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I was looking for a dock to get too. I almost had my mind set on the Kicker ik501 but will take a look at this too since its in the same price range but has the wireless capability.

I bought a Monster Clarity HD bluetooth speaker for traveling and have started to really enjoy the convenience of being able to listen to music through bluetooth without having to dock my iphone or to connect through cables.

Thanks again.

6. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Thanks for the heads-up. Hadn't heard of this before.

8. Hammer97e macrumors member

So far it looks very tempting. Have you noticed how the phone performs when paired and or docked? I am curious if it acts like a speakerphone when paired via bluetooth.

9. Roadking macrumors 6502

Looks pretty good. Wish I didn't already have a Soundock. I like the idea of having the bluetooth.

10. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

I'll have to add this to my research list. I like the look of it a lot better than my crappy old iHome unit.

11. deeesea macrumors 6502

12. Reefbone macrumors regular

Glad you're happy with your purchase. I agree it does look nice cosmetically. My concern is only that it has just one 2.5 speaker for ea channel.

I've been looking at getting something portable with a battery option but I guess this doesn't seem to fit the bill. I've been looking at the Logitech s715i but am not crazy about the reviews that discount the sound while on battery power. I mostly want to play music on my deck so maybe I'll just run some outdoor speakers and get an Airport Express.

13. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the logitech pure-fi anywhere 2 which is the model that was out before the s715i. Although they sound very good, the Sound Platform blows them away in terms of clarity and bass. I'm not exactly sure how the s715i model sounds, but I'm assuming they're similar to the pure-fi anywhere 2 in that reguard.

14. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't tried it yet, but when I get the chance to do it I'll let you know.

15. Reefbone macrumors regular

The Pure Fi anywhere 2 had the same issue when using battery power. This this unit does not use batteries I would expect the sound to be better. Or are you saying it sounds better when both are plugged in?