Must Read Article about 3G reception....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JPIndustrie, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I don't know if this has been posted before - feel free to delete if a repost but:

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=444&a=440573

Looks like a bunch of Swedish Antenna engineers decided to properly test the iPhone 3G's reception qualities and compare them with those of a Nokia N73 and Sony Ericcson P1 - surprisingly (or not), the only difference between the devices we're a few dBM's.

So, if it isn't the phone - what is it? ;)

2. Tosser macrumors 68030

Hmm, he says he has a phone which doesn't drop calls. You cannot deduct that because his phone doesn't drop calls, it can't be the phones' (which drop the calls) that aren't the problem. If that makes sense?

Anyway, they're asking for phones which DO drop calls to test them as well.

3. barjohn macrumors newbie

There is a lot of information missing from this article. For example, where are the measurements taken from on the phone, at the antenna, at the baseband amplifier or some other test point? If this is only an antenna test how about the infineon chip sets processing? Given the receive signals shown in their test charts of -105dbm it would appear to be an antenna signal since one cannot establish or hold a connection on such a weak signal.

The only thing I can see is that the antenna is ok and the transmit power is ok.

Finally, I don't see their test chamber as being traceable to any national standard which would be required for reliable test measurements. In the U.S. we require traceability to NIST. Their claim to be more accurate than an anechoic chamber is suspect.

4. JPIndustrie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Mmm, interesting points here.

I'm interested to see any tidbits about the issue though, which is why I brought it to everyone's attention.

5. daniels macrumors member

Three of my family members have AT&T with 3G phones. I'm the only one with an iPhone. None of the others have had any dropped calls. I get one on average every other day in our house. It's an iPhone problem, it just might not be a problem with every iPhone

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Now is it firmware or hardware? 0_0

Or both...

7. killerbee79 macrumors member

Must Read Article about 3G reception....

Here is a link to an article written by Forune magazine explaining the 3G reception issue.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/08/25/mapping-the-iphone-3gs-dead-zones/

I've read post after post, thread and thread about this on here and also the discussion boards at Apple.com

Never commented before, but felt compelled to put my 2 cents in. I never believed it was the phone, always the network (ATT). I'm in southern WI and always have 4 bars on average of 3G and average speeds of 1.8 Mbps(thats 224 kB/s if you'd rather see it that way). ATT's 3G network is farely "young" in most parts of the country. I think ATT is more concerned about going live in most places rather than going live with reasonable available bandwidth. I work for a company that supplies one of ATT's vendors that builds their network and know first hand that have had A LOT of hardware issues on their network since like June. They are slowing fixing these one site/city at a time.

Read the article and way in if you wish. This is just my 2 cents.

8. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I've had my iPhone3G for 4 weeks now. I live in Southern California and I spent one week with my phone in Chicago and drove down to Southern Illinois. I have NEVER had a dropped call. In very few places during all of this did I find myself without a signal (dead spots do exist), but most of the time I had at least EDGE. In urban areas, I've always had good 3G service.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agree 100%. My company has deep contacts into AT&T and you hit the nail on the head. We all see the ads of "more bars in more places", but from a technical perspective the transition from Cingular and building out the 3G network has been a struggle. If you see the glass as half-full (or believe marketing), the outages are because they are improving the network.

10. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

How did they unlock the phone to use the 'special sim card' for the test?

11. Future2001 macrumors member

Some countries come with iPhones unlocked.

And I see a few lawyers wasting a lot of time!

12. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I have unlocked my iPhone in Australia and now use it on three not optus.

Back to back speed tests in several locations and different methods show three is 3-5 times faster than optus. So it's not the phone it's the network

13. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

i've heard there may be some differences with signal quality between the white and black iphones 3g. in other words the black iphones have better reception than the white.

i'm wondering how to contact these guys to test that.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have a black iphone 3G and live in a fully covered 3g area--and the reception is abysmal. I doubt the color matters since the internals are the same.

15. ROHIT1976 macrumors newbie

i phone reqd

I am looking for an i phone 8 gig unlocked, I will be visiting chicago this weekned and will be staying in downtown, I am new to chicago and just have aday to visit so need some information as of where in downtown can I get the unlocked phone without any contract or so?

Pls advise so that I can call that shop and book it or pay in advance.

16. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Claims that white vs. black perform differently are ridiculous. They were released at the same time and have the same hardware.

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I live in an orphanage with 23 other children. 3 of us have iPhones and none of us have had a single dropped call. The other 20 kids all have various AT&T phones and they average 1.72 dropped calls per day.