Must reset SMC after each powerdown

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by runtrails, Apr 26, 2013.

1. runtrails macrumors newbie

Daughter's Macbook 13 unibody built in 2010. Spilled coffee near the CD. Dried if for multiple days. Powers up while connected to magsafe. Reset SMC and the battery charged. Unhook magsafe and works fine on battery. Power down. Will not power back up without magsafe. Reset SMC. Works fine without magsafe. Power up without resetting SMC, unplug magsafe and the laptop turns off almost immediately.

I am very unskilled for fixing electronics -- no multimeter or probes etc but have dissassembled many pc laptops and done hardware repairs. Appears that whatever talks to the SMC is not able to hold information after the laptop powers down. Is there a capacitor or circuit that is still fried? Or will pulling the logic board and cleaning with alcohol fix this sort of problem?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you are confident to do so you could clean it with isopropyl alcohol, this might solve the problem, there might be some residue on the Logic board and cleaning it might resolve it, use care though, don't do this while you are on a carpet, touch the aluminium-common to equalise yourself to discharge any static electricity, this of course is not hard since the whole laptop is aluminium.

3. AET macrumors newbie

No Volumn

I have no volumn.
    I am miserable.
    I am traveling and in a hotel.
    I tried all the recommendations above, except for the matchstick.
    Why isn't this working? :confused:

Running on 10.6.8

4. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Try resetting EFI to stock, oh wait, do you have EFI access?

Zap the PRAM.