"Must restart your computer" message on start up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrazyInMac, May 14, 2010.

1. CrazyInMac macrumors newbie

Hi,

My girlfriend's Macbook gave her the restart computer, kernal panic message earlier today when she tried to open a .tiff file in Photoshop CS3. She did as she was told, however now the computer won't get past the apple logo when we hit the power button. Every time the message comes up. I have had a look around the net and tried the advice I could find, but haven't had any luck.

I have tried resetting pram and the other one. I have also taken out each memory one at a time to see if this makes a difference, but each time the message still appears. She has a 2007 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard, which we upgraded around a month ago from Tiger. It's got 2gb of ram and I think 2.2Ghz Intel Core Duo Processor.

I would really appreciate any help on what else could be up with it? We can't find her Apple Hardware Test cd either.

Thanks very much for your time.

2. CrazyInMac thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't get into safe mode, the load bar started to go but then the error sign came up. I got into single-user and it asked me if I want to make modifications to files:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /

Also said if I wish to reboot the system: exit. I typed exit and it logged me out then came up with what I'm guessing is the computer speak for the fancy you-must-restart message. It's a long message but the top bit says

hfs: Removed 5 orphaned / unlinked files and 2 directories
    panic(cpu0 caller 0x2fca20): "jnl: transaction too big (1044992 >= 1048064 bytes, bufsize 4096, tr 0x56c2fc0 bp 0x31dc6300\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/bsd/vfs/vfs_journal.c:244
    Debugger called: (panic)
    Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame: Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

Then it lists loads of numbers/letters.

The BSD process name corresponding to current thread: dirhelper
    Mac OS Version: 10A432

I don't really understand what any of this means mind you.

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Kernel panic, something to do with file system, i believe? (dirhelper)

Perhaps you should try backing up your data and then reinstalling OS X, if you can boot the drive from another computer you should be able to restore the data.

4. CrazyInMac thread starter macrumors newbie

The data is thankfully backed up onto a Time Capsule already. How do I go about reinstalling the OS if I can't get the current one to load?

5. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Insert Disc 1 of the installation discs that came with the Macbook and hold Alt at start up. You'll then be able to choose the Installation disc and it'll boot into the installer.

6. CrazyInMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thank you.

And thank you every one else who has helped too, it seems to be working again!

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

good to hear, glad you got it sorted out.

8. phifer8390 macrumors member

So after a new install, how did you get all your info back on the mac? I am having the same issue.

9. alby1011 macrumors newbie

Help

:confused:I am having thee exact same problem with my Macbook Pro 2009 model, I do not have the installation disc though, you all have mentioned, what other method could I try, it is really beginning to bother me with the message continuing to pop up and ruining my work. Also how are you able to restart your PRAM?