Must vent...

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
How do you ignore Apple haters?

I'm no fanboy, but it's just rude when people sit two chairs away, ripping into Apple for everything that's wrong with the world, when I'm typing away on my mbp.

It's just bloody rude, isn't it?

I wouldn't mind, but they're using those crappy netbooks you get free with mobile phone contracts, and speaking loudly so I'll hear them.

Jealous, much? Their biggest criticism of the air was... it might break. So they're fairly uneducated, too.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Hey dalvin,

They're beyond educating. One 'joke' that got a great laugh was:

" Bill Gates probably gave Steve Jobs his loafers!"

Another statement...

"Apple are only hanging on because of the iPhone".

The best yet...

"Surely calling it X64 will confuse people who think X86 is better!"

Oh, and OS X is pants, but Debian rocks :rolleyes:

I should add these are university engineering students. And we wonder why we're in a worldwide recession.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
I cop it daily at work about how macs are crap. I just say liar liar pants on fire don't be a liar! (i stole that from judge judy lol ) nar i don't say that really i just ignore it

I tell you this, when i get something to work on my mac that they could not get to work on there windows machines they think there great but only lasts for 5 minutes lol

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
I cop it daily at work about how macs are crap. I just say liar liar pants on fire don't be a liar! (i stole that from judge judy lol ) nar i don't say that really i just ignore it

I tell you this, when i get something to work on my mac that they could not get to work on there windows machines they think there great but only lasts for 5 minutes lol
Lol! I must try that first approach :p

They'll never learn. I don't care they don't use macs obviously, I don't even care they hate them, but I'd appreciate them not doing it right beside me. That's just rude.

Especially when they're using the ********* little Netbooks money can't even buy

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
How do you ignore Apple haters?
I ignore them. In the scheme of things, who really cares if people hate apple. Really, they're a business and Apple's clear desire is to make money for its stock holders. They make great products (been a user since macintosh se/30) but that doesn't mean they're perfect.

Heck, with some of the rants I agree with them

You can turn this around and say about apple fans and Microsoft? We see plenty of posts ranting against M$.

People have opinions and they're entitled to them. Let them complain and move on. Life's too short to worry about a how some people perceive a multi-billion dollar corporation.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
I ignore them. In the scheme of things, who really cares if people hate apple. Really, they're a business and Apple's clear desire is to make money for its stock holders. They make great products (been a user since macintosh se/30) but that doesn't mean they're perfect.

You can turn this around and say about apple fans and Microsoft? We see plenty of posts ranting against M$.

People have opinions and they're entitled to them. Let them complain and move on. Life's too short to worry about a how some people perceive a multi-billion dollar corporation.
The thing is, I genuinely couldn't give a toss what their opinions of Apple are. I'd be the same if I was watching a Sony TV and they were bitching about how much better Toshiba is, sitting right next to me.

It's the rudeness of talking loud about it while I'm right beside them that annoys me.

But i agree with all your points. Especially 'life's too short'!

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Well said, and I agree completely.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Personally, I don't understand why people are so pro Apple. I personally prefer them to MS, but their products are still littered with manufacturing defects, they're expensive, their customer service is mediocre, the OS is far from perfect etc.

In short, they're just another corporation. Why take things so personally? (unless you're an Apple designer or something)

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I guess I just don't care

I mean, do my Apple products work? That's all I care about. Will my iPhone work today? My iMac work when I get home? As long as they do, I am just fine.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
They are just trying to bother you, just ignore them and they will continue looking more stupid than what they are...

Get a date through your Mac and stop wasting your time on something non productive for your life.

Don't fall into their game.

Move on.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
its funny when they try to insult/burn us when they have no idea.. just give them a smile, you will have yours back one day.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
Some respondants got what I meant, but I think a few might not have.

My problem really had nothing to do with Apple, or computers at all. And it wasn't an argument because I definitely didn't care enough to say anything. After all, they weren't talking to me.

My problem is just that it's rude when they're sitting right beside me. If you drive a BMW, and your coworkers are laying into BMW right beside you, knowing you drive one, it's rude, and makes you feel awkward.

That's all :eek:

Edited to say that it's my fault you all think my problem was with the Apple hating itself; I did give some quotes they'd made, after all. That was more to show that they were tossers, lol.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
^ (@allmIne) People are rude. You're not going to change them so all you can do is adjust your response to them. As I said: Learn to care less.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Fanboys mostly have arrived at their erroneous conclusions built from a single itty bitty grain of truth. I know there's a literacy term for that but I can't remember atm.

Fanboys cannot be educated, because what they believe isn't based on reason. Ignore them.

Or beat them over the head with your unibody. It'll knock them out quicker than if you beat them over the head with a plastic Dell..

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
I'd a feeling you might repeat your point, iBlue! I did take it into account, I just didn't feel I'd anything to add. So eloquent as it stood :)

Melrose - that's a suggestion! The joys of being back at uni, heh.

And McGiord, sorry, but no thanks! Internet dating isn't really my thing, even if I was in the position! Good luck with it, though!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Just wait until you become neutral and then have to put up with uneducated s**t from both sides. ;)

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
An old man and a young boy were traveling through their village with their donkey. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking and the boy was riding.

The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.

Later, they passed some people that remarked, "What a shame, he makes that little boy walk." They then decided they both would walk.

Soon they passed some more people who thought they were stupid to walk when they had a decent donkey to ride. So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people that shamed them by saying, "How awful to put such a load on a poor donkey."

The boy and man said they were probably right, so they decided to carry the donkey.

As they crossed a bridge, they lost their grip on the animal and he fell into the river and drowned.

The moral of the story?

If you try to please everyone, you may as well just kiss your ass goodbye.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Don't worry about it. But the next time their computer screws up and they ask you for help just say, "I wouldn't know how to help you, I never have to deal with stuff like that." ;)

An old man and a young boy were traveling through their village with their donkey. The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked.

As they went along they passed some people who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking and the boy was riding.

The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right, so they changed positions.

Later, they passed some people that remarked, "What a shame, he makes that little boy walk." They then decided they both would walk.

Soon they passed some more people who thought they were stupid to walk when they had a decent donkey to ride. So, they both rode the donkey.

Now they passed some people that shamed them by saying, "How awful to put such a load on a poor donkey."

The boy and man said they were probably right, so they decided to carry the donkey.

As they crossed a bridge, they lost their grip on the animal and he fell into the river and drowned.

The moral of the story?

If you try to please everyone, you may as well just kiss your ass goodbye.

Please tell that story to Barack Obama. ;)

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Great story!

The truth is if it works for you keep using it. There are a lot of ignorant people out there- just remember you are the one who has to live with you. Mainly cause your donkey drowned and no one else likes you after that.