Must watch video: Father and son send iPhone into space

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Brilliant, clever and a bit eerie. Really surprised the phone didn't travel further from its launch site. Nicely put together little video.

2. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

It's a shame the battery didn't hold out. I would have love to have seen the end of the descent.

3. taran420 macrumors 6502a

that was realy cool, i was hoping it could more of the sun then it was shown. Very cool nonetheless. Space has always mesmerized me and i wanted to take some astronomy classes in high but didnt :( its crazy what's out there, absolutely love it!
    needless to say as soon as im out of uni and have a decent job i will be getting a really nice telescope :)

4. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

What I don't understand is that he says that the batteries give out 2 minutes from landing, but then he's still able to locate it with the GPS signal and have the LED light shine.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think the GPS and beacon were additional elements NOT on the phone (IE he added a beacon and also had a gps device there)

Not sure.. but it would have to be. At least the beacon was separate. I imagine (since I believe they said they found it at night with the light) that maybe they went to the appx area last reported by the GPS if they only used the iPhone GPS.

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Oh wait, he says in the video "There's the camera right there, and here's the iPhone, which we use to track it." And it's actually the iPhone 3GS and not the "current model".

But the viewing angle of the video looks really wide, so I guess I just assumed from the article that it was recorded with the iPhone, since it makes the distinction that the iPhone used was the one "with the video camera", and they "let it go with the camera running".

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

The GPS is coming from the iPhone, which of course hat its own battery.

The LED might be on a different circuit than the camera as well, they also use a lot less power than the camera. So while the camera might shut off because of a lack of power, the LEDs may not.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well I suppose it's also possible that they had a 3gs for tracking and a 4 to film with a custom lens they made... hard to tell from the video

9. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing. I hope they Mythbusters test this using an iphone, it would be interesting to see their results.

10. gelinasbrian macrumors member

gelinasbrian

I found this story quite interesting and the fact that they used an iPhone is cool.
    That guy is one cool dad, I am sure his kid thinks he is the man. I am glad they found their rig because you know not everyone would have been kind enough to return the phone. This story makes me want to dream up some fun project.

11. finatk macrumors regular

The iPhone was only used to track the balloon, The only thing that went to space was a HD Camcorder. :p

Still a cool vid though.

12. taran420 macrumors 6502a

the phone def went to the space, how else would it transmit a gps signal

13. MST macrumors 6502

MST

Irrespective of whether the iPhone actually went into space or not I still think it's awesome!

14. james92se macrumors 6502a

They sent an iPhone AND a video camera... pretty straight forward...

15. gelinasbrian macrumors member

gelinasbrian

In the video @ 1:25 it shows the capsule and the contents which did include the iPhone. Like taran420 said they used it for the GPS capabilities so they could find it when it returned to earth.

16. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Question: how do I get my iPhone into space?

Answer: jailbreak.

17. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

No, it's not very straight forward, because the article states that the iPhone was "the current model, with video camera" and "let it go with the camera running", suggesting that it was the iPhone 4 with HD video that was used to record the video.

But that's not the case. So while the video is cool, the iPhone 3G was really only used to find the little carrier.

18. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Do we know that definitively? What I mean is - is it possible that they used two iPhones? One i4 to film and the 3gs as a tracker? they never show the actual video camera

19. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

He used a GoPro Hero HD to film it.

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Where did you find that out?

21. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

22. oilers15 macrumors regular

oilers15

How is it that this guy can find his phone after sending it to outer space, but Steve Jobs can't find his prototype, after his engineer leaves it in a bar? :p

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That was a great video. Thanks for sharing OP.

24. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Cool.

Secretly was wishing it was actually shot with an iPhone.. but still a cool video none-the-less...