Mute or No Volume, is there a difference

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Colonel Badger, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Under Sounds and Haptics there are two options regarding "sound". One is a slider that can be slid completely to the left and appears to switch off sound when this is done. There is also a "Mute" switch.

I've googled and some websites suggest that to switch off sound for notifications but KEEP haptic taps, you should slide the volume all the way to the left. Others suggest you should enable the Mute switch.

The question is; is there a difference and if so what is it ?

As a side note; I've noticed that with the volume slid all the way to the left MOST apps will cause the watch to do a silent Notification and haptic tap, BUT there is at least ONE app that still makes a ping. When Mute is enabled ALL Notifications are silent, however I have a suspicion (although not proven), that the one app that I previously mentioned makes a ping with volume OFF, then does not even tap.
    This all smacks of more bugs in 1.0.1.

2. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Well, the iPhone watch app appears to give the answer right below the mute switch where it says "Mute will not silence alarms and timers when apple watch is charging."......so I guess the volume slider is different in that it will silence the alarms and timers when charging if you move it all the way to the left.

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

What Honey Badger said. Pretty much self explaining and the iPhone has the same.