Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you have your switch set to?

• Screen orientation lock

Votes: 101 80.8%
  • Mute

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • What?

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Damn thing should have never changed in the first place. +1 for orientation...

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Orientation for me to. The only reason why I'd want mute is if I had an iPhone so that I could quickly go from full volume to silent/vibrate, but since this is an iPad we're talking about, I'd go with orientation.

stefc93

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
I don't have an iPad (yet... ;) ) but I would prefer to set the toggle switch to the mute function. You can always lock the orientation by double clicking the home button and scrolling over to press the lock orientation icon.

But then again, maybe I just prefer this cause this is how I do it with my iPhone. Either way, when I get an iPad, this is how I'll set it up.

defunkt

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I don't have an iPad (yet... ;) ) but I would prefer to set the toggle switch to the mute function. You can always lock the orientation by double clicking the home button and scrolling over to press the lock orientation icon.

But then again, maybe I just prefer this cause this is how I do it with my iPhone. Either way, when I get an iPad, this is how I'll set it up.

Orientation Lock 100%...

Using it as a mute imho is a waste since the volume buttons are right next to the switch, which means you can hold the volume down button for 1-2 sec to get it to mute

Using it as a mute is redundant

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Muting in the multitask bar makes a lot more sense than the switch in my opinion, so awesome to have it back. Works great in bed when browsing and whatnot sideways

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
I'm so thrilled that the rotation lock is back! It was such a pain in the ass to have to double click the home button every time I wanted to type something out.
I like reading the Internet in portrait. Like a book. :)

tomandshell

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
If I need to mute it really quickly (phone rings or wife is talking to you), it's nice to just flip that switch instead of holding down a button until it mutes. Then you flip it again and you're back at full volume instead of spending another couple of seconds pressing the button and raising it back up bit by bit. If I want to lock the orientation, I can always double tap the home button and do it that way. So far, I find myself adjusting the volume a lot more than trying to use the thing while lying on my side. So I have it set to mute.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
The volume button already functions as a mute if you hold it down. No idea what apple was thinking when they changed it.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
orientation of course, the mute switch was just stupid. i have apple for taking away the switch but love them for giving it back

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

You can do that with an iPhone?!?! Holy crow! You can. Hey, thanks!

Mute for me, too. My iPad is often somewhere in the bedroom; I like the quick flip-switch mute so wonky calendar alarms or push audio alerts or I didn't know were on or whatever don't wake me up at odd hours.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Orientation lock - all day.
I'm sure Apple disabled it, just so they could give it back, as a 'feature', to flesh out the 4.3 additions. :rolleyes:
In fact, listening to Scott Forstall talk about it in the iPad 2 keynote, effectively proves it.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
I'm sure Apple disabled it, just so they could give it back, as a 'feature', to flesh out the 4.3 additions. :rolleyes:
In fact, listening to Scott Forstall talk about it in the iPad 2 keynote, effectively proves it.

jep. next they will disable pinch to zoom and give it back in the next update.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada

No. They disabled it because it was always designed to be a mute switch but they changed it to a rotation lock at the last minute as iOS 4 wasn't ready for release when the iPad came out. All early literature of the iPad showed the switch as mute, not rotation lock. I guess they underestimated how much people liked it.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Rotation lock for sure. I accidentally rotate far to easily when reading in portrait while laying down etc.

I don't care about mute much since I mainly use it at home, and it's easy enough to turn the volume all the way down when on a plane etc. anyway.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
Mute. I use my iPad both ways, so orientation is no big deal for me. Same on the iPhone.

Mute's more important to me because I use it in a doctor's office, school, library, etc.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Orientation Lock 100%...

Using it as a mute imho is a waste since the volume buttons are right next to the switch, which means you can hold the volume down button for 1-2 sec to get it to mute

Using it as a mute is redundant

This, exactly.

WTF is the point in having, essentially, 2 mute buttons right next to each other.

Orientation lock ftw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.