mute other applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andersbund, May 15, 2009.

1. andersbund macrumors newbie

hi all, i'm looking for an app that will automatically mute the apps you are not using when the application that you are using plays sound. for example mutes itunes when you play a quicktime movie. any thoughts?

thanks in advance
    anders

2. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

3. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Wiretap Studio can do it to....

[​IMG]

OK... so it's expensive... but you might have got it in the Macheist bundle...

J

4. andersbund thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions. i've had a look at the sites and i can't see any where that these would do what i'm after.

my specific scenario is this: working in aftereffects while listening to music from another application. when i then make a preview with audio in after effects i'd like the sound from the other application to mute...

can any of these do that?

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I do it like this. I listen music, then I switch to (for example fcp) and press the play pause button. Now I don't hear music. Then I watch my project. When I'm finished watching, and make for an example a title, I press the play button on my keyboard.

6. andersbund thread starter macrumors newbie

well done. same approach as me. but as i preview stuff loads of times i'm looking for something that automates this tast...

7. andersbund thread starter macrumors newbie

getting somewhere. i've found this thing that lets you have hotkeys to control iTunes from what ever application you are in. sizzling keys http://www.yellowmug.com/sk4it/

would still be interested to see if there is something that will only let one application play sound at a time, as i often use spotify to listen to music.

any thoughts out there?