iPad Mute/Rotation lock in iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by addictzz, Oct 16, 2014.

1. addictzz macrumors 6502

Does anyone notice that mute switch is gone in ipad Air 2?

how do I suppose to do quick mute/rotation lock now?

Geezz...another bad surprise from Apple amidst all the great points iPad Air 2 has.

2. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

You can do it via software buttons in Control Center, but it's still disappointing.

3. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Control Centre can activate Rotation lock and you can control volume via Software or Buttons on the side. Not a big deal really.

4. addictzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I know I can do it through control center. I can do turn up and down the volume through control center too but Apple does not remove the volume button. But there must be a reason to have mute switch. It's the convenience. Otherwise Apple wouldn't have retain it for 4 years now.

5. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Pointless switch. Never worked to actually mute sound, just notifications. iOS 8 removes need for a physical rotation lock switch, it is right in the control center.

Good riddance. Embrace change.

There was no need to remove it because it didn't impact the physical design. Because of the thinness, it had to be removed. Totally okay with that since its function is redundant - volume is changed all the time, you need that as a physical button.

6. addictzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Not all apps can be silenced even when you are in mute mode. It depends on the sound setting of your phone too.

I agree that mute switch has less use if you compared to volume button, power button, and home button. But it's still a convenience you would rather have than lose. I don't believe that there is no space available to squeeze the mute switch, Apple can always make the switch smaller. Not that this is a dealbreaker for me buying iPad Air 2 but that there is a switch is always better than there is not.

7. badman89 macrumors regular

iOS has two volume controls - one is the "ringer volume" and one is the "phone volume." The mute switch only mutes the ringer volume, but it has no impact on the phone volume.

8. Alexndertornado macrumors newbie

Auto rotate Button in iPad Air

push the screen from from down to up, you see virtual panel where the auto rotate button is to seen.