Mute switch durability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Dec 8, 2016.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

Has anyone had the mute switch to bad on them? I've removed a few cases that have pulled on that side of the phone and I'm wondering if it could cause issues

2. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I've never seen a faulty mute switch on a phone, even as far back as the OG. Don't worry.

Edit: I should clarify, a faulty mute switch from wear. Problems happen, I just don't think they suffer many overuse defects.

3. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the straightforward feedback.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My iPhone 6+ had some debris stuck inside the mute switch which made it difficult to flip the switch. Whatever was in there fell out or moved and the issue went away.

5. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Never, although I have seen the power button on like 4 people (including my own) on the 4 and 4S

6. Seanm87 macrumors member

Actually yes I have for the exact reason mentioned in the original post.

I had a apple leather case on my 6 took it on and off and eventually it wouldn't move back due to how much it got pulled about.

7. StonewallBrown macrumors regular

StonewallBrown

My 6s+ got extensive mute switch use over its year of use. 90% of the time, when placing the phone in my front pocket, the switch would be activated by my jeans. That's not counting the times I purposely flipped the switch. The switch works just as well today as it did when purchased. Of course, your mileage may vary.

8. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yikes.

9. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have the leather case and can understand that. But, why take it on/off so many times?

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I had the mute switch from n my iPhone 6 stop working properly just from normal use. I never used a case on it too.

What would happen is, I'd switch it to mute but it wouldn't work properly. Sound would still work. Or it would just keep switching from mute to sound for a few seconds.

11. macTW Suspended

Just from use and not from any official website... It feels like the iPhone 7's mute switch is a lot sturdier and heavier than the 6 or 6s (of which I have owned or used). I don't think anybody, through normal use and dropping, etc., will damage this. On my 6, however, I occasionally got it stuck because of debris and whatnot getting in the slot. The 7, though, has yet to do that.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've had all the buttons on previous iPhones either be loose out of the box or go that way with heavy use, so for the past few years I've used Assistive Touch to circumnavigate their use. This allows me to adjust the volume, mute, return to the homescreen, select multitasking and take screenshots by way of a floating on-screen control panel.

13. Seanm87 macrumors member

I like the naked feel when at home but slap a case on when I go out

14. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

My 6+ currently has a bad mute switch. If I have it on mute, it randomly decides to switch itself on and off. Which isn't a big deal except for the buzz when you mute it. When I'm at work, I keep my volume on so it doesn't vibrate for no good reason all day. Then I turn Do Not Disturb on so I don't have to hear my notifications all day. It's annoying. I took it to Apple, but they said it was out of warranty and the fix was more than I was willing to pay considering I want to upgrade anyway.