Mute the browser

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Matek, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Matek macrumors 6502a

I have a pretty simple question. Is there any way to mute a browser in OS X? I usually listen to music while I browse and poorly designed websites with sound effects annoy me. On Windows, I had a separate utility to mute the browser (although I hear Vista has per-app sound settings). I currently use Firefox, but am willing to switch to Safari or something else if this is only possible on another browser.

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Answer: Stop browsing myspace! :p
    Sorry, I couldn't resist. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question.

3. Matek thread starter macrumors 6502a

I rarely visit MySpace, honestly (not that popular in our country), but those couple of times I checked things out were painful enough to understand that joke. Good one ;).

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

A good idea I've seen is to install AdBlock in Firefox, then set it to block MP2, MP3, AIF, WAV, and WMA files, plus anything else you run into. That would definitely work, though it could cause problems with things you want to listen to (in which case you turn off AdBlock temporarily).

jW

5. Matek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Huh, that's not a bad idea, but most of the problems are caused by flash files (flash games, pages and ads with music), which means I can't simply block them, because I need the actual content of the game/page.

6. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

IIRC, if you right click on the flash ad, you can adjust the sound level on the flash thingy.

7. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Isn't that a function of the flash program itself? I.e., if they didn't include a volume/mute then there (for the end user) isn't one. I could be wrong though.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Get an AirPort Express, hook that on to your stereo, and use AirTunes for listening to music and just mute your Mac... that's what I do... :)

9. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

10. kostia macrumors regular

On PowerPC Macs the Rogue Amoeba freeware program "Detour" allowed you to adjust the volume of each application independently. Detour doesn't work on Intel Macs, but it was relatively popular and I'm sure if you search for something like "detour volume intel" or "detour volume leopard" you could find something.

Or if you have an older Mac you could just use it.

11. Matek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I found detour on my quest to mute the browser a while ago, but as you said, it doesn't work on Intel machines (I have a macbook). Googling for alternatives was unsuccessful.

Heh, hope that's a joke. In case it's not - I unfortunately don't have a stereo, I use my laptop and a pair of headphones for listening to music. And buying all that equipment as a workaround to this problem is out of the question.

I know what you mean, but I'm pretty sure that's just a slider for microphone input volume (in case you want some flash plugin to use it).